Trailer down..

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Driver

Feb 1, 2014
Southwestern Va
Picked up these rounds a week ago, usually unload right away. Just left them on the trailer til the ground dries up a bit. Came home to this tonight. Thought the jack would have broke but no, it twisted the dang hitch. Now just more work on top of work.:(

100_1806.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
ouch !

Not centered, clamped to the frame, won't be anymore.

Hind site sucks sometimes. Maybe unload one or two of those big rounds and strategically place them next time. That's a bummer for someone without a fab shop to go at it with. I would love to find a trailer like that - probably get a really good deal on it and put a couple hours work into making it better than new.

I can see that trailer being very tongue heavy. The axle seems to be oddly place for balance. Maybe the pic is an allusion?
No doubt - that sucks no matter what.

I can see that trailer being very tongue heavy. The axle seems to be oddly place for balance. Maybe the pic is an allusion?

Agree, some people think the longer the span (the better), the less tongue weight, because of increased leverage.

The axle seems to be oddly place for balance. Maybe the pic is an allusion?

I thought maybe I was the only one to think that. The trailer looks very tongue heavy, but I can't tell because the rear of the trailer can't be seen in the picture. It does look like there isn't much suspension travel left... That load looks to be just too much for it.

Is that the 5x14 in your signature? So there's probably more trailer behind the axle that's hidden by the fence?

I'm sorry to see that you're having problems with the trailer, but if it had to fail you're much better off having it break in your driveway than to have a catastrophic failure as you're towing it behind you!

Actually it is balanced fairly well, I think this jack was put on by the previous owner. Never gave it a thought before this because I never parked it with a load on before. Anyway looked at it closer tonight shouldn't be too hard to repair, not as bad as I first thought. It has paid for it self several times over hauling wood for me and hay for the cows.

One question. With that load on it, could you lift the tongue by hand?
No, only have it loaded a little past the axle. I think it's a landscape trl. or something, being kind of an odd size that it is, but the price was right when I bought 5 years ago. There is a trailer dealer a half mile from the house I drive past every day. Starting to get the itch!

Single axle trailers like yours typically are 1 ton rated. You should only have 100-200 pounds on your tongue when loaded. Next time you load try to pick it up off the ball while latched. If you can lift it easy load the tongue more and vice versa. Tongue heavy trailers wag like a happy dog

No, only have it loaded a little past the axle. I think it's a landscape trl. or something, being kind of an odd size that it is, but the price was right when I bought 5 years ago. There is a trailer dealer a half mile from the house I drive past every day. Starting to get the itch!

I think the whole issue is that the trailer was overloaded. That wood weighs a lot more than that trailer is rated for.

I have a double axle trailer, and it is 7000 gross/5000 net. I imagine those rounds weigh in at over 100lbs each (depending on species).

Tongue heavy trailers wag like a happy dog
I sorta disagree with that statement. Although if you put too much weight on the tongue of a trailer (to the point it is overloading the rearend of the truck) this can happen. But if you want a trailer to really wag, make it backend heavy. Had that happen, and that is just plain scary !!!

But if you want a trailer to really wag, make it backend heavy. Had that happen, and that is just plain scary
Right on the mark. You always want more weight on the front. Never had an issue with this trailer it pulls straight as an arrow, even when it's overloaded.

That seems like that would be a good load on a two axle trailer.
I never dare set a trailer down on any jack when loaded.
A little tongue heavy is WAY better than rear end heavy. Trust me I crashed an incorrectly loaded trailer with a vehicle on it. Jackknifed the trailer into the side of my suburban, trailer with vehicle on it wound up crosswise in the ditch, with the suburban still attached across a lane of traffic on a very busy two lane highway.
One of the worst experiences of my life, scared the hell out of me. Thank the Lord nobody was hurt in my vehicle or on the highway. Just vehicle damage and my pride.
I probably aged five years that night.

I think the whole issue is that the trailer was overloaded. That wood weighs a lot more than that trailer is rated for.

I have a double axle trailer, and it is 7000 gross/5000 net. I imagine those rounds weigh in at over 100lbs each (depending on species).

I sorta disagree with that statement. Although if you put too much weight on the tongue of a trailer (to the point it is overloading the rearend of the truck) this can happen. But if you want a trailer to really wag, make it backend heavy. Had that happen, and that is just plain scary !!!
Yes you are right. The heavy hitch causes the wave effect because the truck sprin

Yeah you're right. I got it mixed up. Wave n bucking with hitch heavy.

Status
Not open for further replies.