Trailer, folding tail gate/ramp

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bogydave

Minister of Fire
Dec 4, 2009
So Cent ALASKA
Got some hinges (4)
Drilled & bolted to the trailer.
Added treated (4) 4' - 2X4s
2X6 bolted across the 2X4s mid way,
Cut 1/2" plywood to length then split it into ( 2) 24" pieces
Screwed the bottom plywood on the 2X4 frame.
Used some small hinges for the 24" fold down ramp.
DSCF0951.JPG DSCF0953.JPG

DSCF0958.JPG DSCF0959.JPG

DSCF0961.JPG DSCF0957.JPG

Reactions: raybonz
Tested the ATV ramp.
Drove arond the block, trailer brakes work.
Clean up the shop, tools away.
Back in the shop to paint the plywood to help prevent splinters & last longer .
I'll give the ramp another coat & sprinkle some sand on the wet paint so it's not so slippery.

DSCF0965.JPG DSCF0967.JPG

DSCF0968.JPG

Reactions: HDRock and raybonz
Enamel paint & sprinkle some sand blasting sand on the tailgate ramps while wet:

DSCF0974.JPG DSCF0972.JPG DSCF0975.JPG

Nice work BD! That'll make life easier, and gave me some great ideas for my trailer too!

Great work very clever all around! Should be a dream to work out of. I might have to steal some ideas from your rear ramp for mine

Thanks

Customized for my wood cutting needs. ;)

Kept me busy for a few days while the snow's melting :)

Room for the ATV & 1.2 cords.
Hope to do a test run with it next month.
Trail/road to the cutting area should be open by then.

I think I mentioned this before but if you need stuff welded, just bring it by. My usual rate is one beer an hour. :)

Great work and ideas Dave.. You can always pattern steel/diamond plate if want to later on if needed..

Ray

Looks great Dave, that will make that trailer alot more useful.
I tend to improve or build things myself with lumber since I dont have a welder either, thinking about some side racks for the new wood truck I picked up last month.

Todd

Great work and ideas Dave.. You can always pattern steel/diamond plate if want to later on if needed..

Ray

Thought about some 1/4" aluminum diamond plate for the center (used section) of the tailgate/ramp.
Can cut it with a carbide blade & WD 40. Need to check the price $ .
Might be slippery, but stronger than 1/2" CDX.

Looks great Dave, that will make that trailer alot more useful.
I tend to improve or build things myself with lumber since I dont have a welder either, thinking about some side racks for the new wood truck I picked up last month.

Todd

If I got into welding , it would be mostly aluminum.
Light weight & easier on the back ;)

Gotta figure out where to mount the spare tire next.
Thinking front & center

DSCF0636.JPG

Thought about some 1/4" aluminum diamond plate for the center (used section) of the tailgate/ramp.
Can cut it with a carbide blade & WD 40. Need to check the price $ .
Might be slippery, but stronger than 1/2" CDX.

If I got into welding , it would be mostly aluminum.
Light weight & easier on the back ;)

Gotta figure out where to mount the spare tire next.
Thinking front & center

View attachment 100783
Hi Dave
I'v been thinking about hanging mine under the trailer,mabey with a tire winch from a P/U.My pickup has the same wheels so i'v allways got a spare in the truck,so it would only be used by someone that borrowed the trailer,or if i was having a bad tire day.I have good luck with tires,so two spares are overkill but nice.
Thomas

Hi Dave
I'v been thinking about hanging mine under the trailer,mabey with a tire winch from a P/U.My pickup has the same wheels so i'v allways got a spare in the truck,so it would only be used by someone that borrowed the trailer,or if i was having a bad tire day.I have good luck with tires,so two spares are overkill but nice.
Thomas

It would be nice if the truck tire is the same.
Never tried my PU jack to see if it would jack the trailer.
Figured , at worst, off load & block the back & use the tongue jack.

My trailer is pretty low so under it not a good option.
Side, front or keep it in the trailer & throw it in PU when loading.

I think I have a good sized piece of diamond plate aluminum that I don't have any plans on needing. I'll check tomorrow if I'm in that corner of the shed. If you call for prices make sure your sitting down. Figure about $10-15/sq foot for 1/8".... yes as in $400 area for a sheet.

I'm confused. In your ATV test photo, it appears that you're using store-bought metal loading ramps over the homemade ramp. Why not just use the store-bought, if you have them? I'm obviously missing something...

It would be nice if the truck tire is the same.
Never tried my PU jack to see if it would jack the trailer.
Figured , at worst, off load & block the back & use the tongue jack.

My trailer is pretty low so under it not a good option.
Side, front or keep it in the trailer & throw it in PU when loading.

If your truck has a sizzor jack it should have no problem getting under the trailer axle and lifting it...bottle jack could be too tall. If you had a cord of wood and and ATV on there it would lift one side of one axle enough to change the tire.

As for the spare, either mount that on the tongue as pictured or on the outside of the side rail in front of the wheel wells.

I'm confused. In your ATV test photo, it appears that you're using store-bought metal loading ramps over the homemade ramp. Why not just use the store-bought, if you have them? I'm obviously missing something...

I had a damaged/broken (store bought) aluminum (tri-folding) ramp with some rungs missing.
(That I never threw away)
I took it apart, cut it to the length of the missing rungs , bolted/hinged 2 sections of it to the trailer
for the ramps.
Then 1/2 plywood on the bottom so they fold up together. Now a light weight gate & ramp all in one.

(Using up stuff I've saved for years that may be useful some day.)

I think I have a good sized piece of diamond plate aluminum that I don't have any plans on needing. I'll check tomorrow if I'm in that corner of the shed. If you call for prices make sure your sitting down. Figure about $10-15/sq foot for 1/8".... yes as in $400 area for a sheet.

Wonder if it's lighter than ply wood ?
Expensive stuff :eek:

If your truck has a sizzor jack it should have no problem getting under the trailer axle and lifting it...bottle jack could be too tall. If you had a cord of wood and and ATV on there it would lift one side of one axle enough to change the tire.

As for the spare, either mount that on the tongue as pictured or on the outside of the side rail in front of the wheel wells.

Plan is to go front middle.
Use the metal I cut out of the front left side to put in a ramp
& make a brace & holder. 2 bolts to to hold it on.

Will have to search for the PU tire jack. Just so I know the what & where & if usable. :)
No plans to haul the floor jack in the PU when I go wood cutting (Yet anyway)

Imagine what an OSHA certified woodcutter, him, his PU & his trailer would look like. (no room for wood)
:p

Imagine what an OSHA certified woodcutter, him, his PU & his trailer would look like. (no room for wood)
:p

It would probably look more like a guy sitting on a couch cranking up the T-stat.

I have been thinking about putting a tool box on the front of my trailer and might have to move the spare, so U might want to think about that before deciding where to mount the spare

Status
Not open for further replies.