trailer load of hardwood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

FireNewbie

Feb 16, 2010
Michigan
I have a question for everyone. Talked to the local tree service guy about getting some wood from him. Dump trailer 7x14 not stacked, heaped over the top for $100 mixed hardwoods. Height of the load from my estimate probaly around 4 feet. I figured it to be right around 3 cords using cubic feet, but what will the final yield be since the load is not stacked and split? I'm thinking 2 cords c/s/s???

It should be well over 2 cords not stack!

I think I remember reading some post here awhile back that you end up with approximately 20% less c/s/s from a loose loaded unsplit trailer. Sound about right???

FireNewbie said:
I think I remember reading some post here awhile back that you end up with approximately 20% less c/s/s from a loose loaded unsplit trailer. Sound about right???

yep close enough for me 392 cu ft 3.06 cords - 20% 2.4 cords....

if you pay for wood then $100 doesn't sound bad for a load that size no matter how you figure it.

Trying not to pay for wood, but if I have to this sounds like a good deal $50 or less for a cord of wood. Cord around here goes for $180 c/s/d. I have 6 cords for next winter that I cut from standing dead trees from my yard and father-in-laws. Future wood will come from a friend of mine that lives an hour away and I currently haul with a 5x8 utility trailer. With trailer and truck box stacked tight I figure it cost me $30 to haul a cord of wood. For wood from the tree service guy, it's bucked most of the way and he will deliver it too for that price. Save time, gas, etc. for $20 more a cord.

Once you start tossing/heaping rounds, especially bigger rounds, you end up with a lot of air space in a dump trailer with sides on it. I always take the time to stack them. That said, $100 even if its only 2 cord saves you a lot of wear and tear, fuel, time and hassle hunting down free wood.

Yeah thats the way I see it too... This might be the best alternative if I can't find free suitable wood locally. Thanks for the input everyone!

Status
Not open for further replies.