Trailer Overhaul.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

adubree86

May 10, 2016
Overland Park, KS
Finally got around to overhauling the trailer i bought about a month ago. Ripped off the old chitty homemade wooden gate and built a new gate. Installed new jack. Wire brushed entire frame and body, hit everything with a rust converter, and painted everything with oil based enamel. Added a tongue box. Repacked bearings. Sometime this week I’m gonna fab up a gate assist.

Before
9290E433-4C06-49E7-830C-A353B8AD0A80.png

After
3B319D71-8FE6-413B-8708-082CC0C31CA0.jpeg

Finally got around to overhauling the trailer i bought about a month ago. Ripped off the old chitty homemade wooden gate and built a new gate. Installed new jack. Wire brushed entire frame and body, hit everything with a rust converter, and painted everything with oil based enamel. Added a tongue box. Repacked bearings. Sometime this week I’m gonna fab up a gate assist.

Before
View attachment 223510

After
View attachment 223511
Nice work. Breathe some new life into that old girl.

Mine is in the driveway, Let me know when you want to pick it up.

Looks good!!

Have I mentioned that I hate people with skills lately?

Looks great!

Nice overhaul man! The gate assist is a must! As you have already discovered... your back will love you for it! Nice shop BTW!

I'm gonna rip off the gorilla lift design. Just went and picked up the 2x2 square tubing over lunch. I wish I could say that was my shop but it's actually works. Come spring I'll have a nice shop though. Throwing up a 24x48 pole barn. Will have a 14x20 wood shop, 10x20 man cave and 24x28 garage/shop.

Nice overhaul man! The gate assist is a must! As you have already discovered... your back will love you for it! Nice shop BTW!

Reactions: kevin j
Sweet!

I'm gonna rip off the gorilla lift design. Just went and picked up the 2x2 square tubing over lunch.
Can we see a pic or more info on this .. I'm wondering if this would help with my horse trailer ?

You just want to make sure when the gate is in the upright position you have tension on your spring. In the last picture I was playing with a couple different options on quick links to tune cable travel..In my situation two links worked best. I could go back and lengthen my steel cable but not sure its worth the effort when I can make it work just fine with two quick links instead of one.