Trailer painted with por 15

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gzecc

Minister of Fire
Sep 24, 2008
NNJ
Very impressed with the results of using Por 15 on my rusty old trailer.

Attachments

• Trailer flatbed painted.jpg
    Trailer flatbed painted.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 670
I've used it in the past and it works good on rusty metal but not on clean metal. (ended up peeling off in a few months) Knock the worst off, but don't get too wild with the wire brush, sandblaster, etc.

POR-15 is amazing. I 100% endorse the paint and the gas tank kits that they have. They have a lot of products that I'm sure work as well.

I wire brushed most of the loose stuff off, then used the acid wash on it all, then hosed it off. Brushed it on (glossy) then rattle can flat black ($1.00 per can from walmart). $36 per quart for por + $6 cost of acid wash, plus the $3 for the walmart paint.
I did my flatbed, enclosed trailer tongue, front and rear bumpers on my SUV. All on the same day.

Reactions: nate379
Be aware. The POR15 I've used is UV sensitive. The stuff that I didn't top cost was quickly degraded by the sun.

Be aware. The POR15 I've used is UV sensitive. The stuff that I didn't top cost was quickly degraded by the sun.

I've never used it, but the hot rod guys who use it tell me it is a primer, not a paint. I've known some of them to take a new piece of metal, set it out in the grass for a few days to get a coat of rust, then use POR-15 as their base primer.

I used gloss por 15, and flat paint rattle can over that. Worked well to be able to paint over any glossy areas.

Status
Not open for further replies.