Trailer suspension

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gzecc

Minister of Fire
Sep 24, 2008
NNJ
I have a 6x10 open trailer that has served me well. However it is very loud when there isn't a load on it. I believe its the leaf spring extension brackets banging against the frame of the trailer when it hits bumps. I have attached a picture. Should these extensions be loose and able to move? Is this an appropiate design?
You can actually see a wear point where the contact occurs in the picture.

Attachments

• leaf extension.jpg
    leaf extension.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 392
You need longer shackles. They are the flat pcs on each side that swing back & forth and connect the spring to the hanger.
They should not be slapping up against the bracket. Check the bushings that runs through the spring eye and hanger also.
While your inspecting, check the front bushing in the front eye and also check to make sure the center bolt did not bend or shear off.
Does the other side do the same thing?
If you overload the trailer with lots of weight, the springs may have lost their arch also.

It is totally normal and expected that the shackle not be vertical. It needs to tip away from the axle at the bottom as your photo shows. The length of the shackles and size of the frame mounted eye should be such that the contact does not occur. Something is wrong with your trailer and it sure looks like the shackle mount on your frame is worn way out.

Updated picture. I took a picture from the rear angle. Does this offer any further information?
I think what is happening is the shackle swiveling up and coming in contact with the uppermost shackle mount. Should I tighten the uppermost shackle bolt to prevent movement? Is this a real problem or just a nagging noise?

Attachments

• trailer spring.jpg
    trailer spring.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 346
gzecc said:
Updated picture. I took a picture from the rear angle. Does this offer any further information?
I think what is happening is the shackle swiveling up and coming in contact with the uppermost shackle mount. Should I tighten the uppermost shackle bolt to prevent movement? Is this a real problem or just a nagging noise?
No, tightening it up will do nothing.
The shackle is supposed to sway forward & back as the spring flexes up & down. Besides there should be bushings in there that would limit how tight you could tighten the bolts.
The shackles should NOT be contacting the hanger, period.
Either the shackles are too short to start with, the bushings are worn out, or the mounting holes on the hanger or the shackles are worn & oblonged letting the bolt & shackle travel back/upward, or slap around with play.
Is the other side the same way? If not, compare the two and see what is different and where, and that will tell you the problem.

I understand, thanks

I can take a pic of the underneath of mine to give you a frame of reference. (Mine is only a 4 X 8, but the setup should be similar)

daveswoodhauler said:
I can take a pic of the underneath of mine to give you a frame of reference. (Mine is only a 4 X 8, but the setup should be similar)

Great idea Dave!

Hogwildz said:
daveswoodhauler said:

Great idea Dave!

I'll try to take a few pics after work and post back later tonight. I am sure my setup is a little different, but I would think the basic principal would be the same)
Gotta get ready for preschool graduation tonight......gonna be a long one :)

daveswoodhauler said:
Hogwildz said:
daveswoodhauler said:

Great idea Dave!

I'll try to take a few pics after work and post back later tonight. I am sure my setup is a little different, but I would think the basic principal would be the same)
Gotta get ready for preschool graduation tonight......gonna be a long one :)

wow, you are very knowledgeable and type extremely well for a preschooler, seems there is hope for the future.

Some pics of my spring setup....a little rusty:

Attachments

• springs 1.jpg
    springs 1.jpg
    160.4 KB · Views: 275
  • springs2.jpg
    springs2.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 273
Thanks Dave, but mine can't be like that. I need shackles correct?

Yes, I noticed that after I looked underneath, but I figured I would post the pics anyway for a frame of reference.
Has your trailer been modified at all over the years? Just seems like they would have went with a longer shackle to provide you the cushion you need...it almost seems like the floor board of the trailer sit to low and don't give you the amount of clearence you need...but its tough to tell from the pics)
I know that other posters here have trailers your size with most likely a similar setup, so hopefully someone can chime in.

I think it needs longer shackles and new spacers between the original frame brackets. I think the original holes have elongated. I may just leave it, I only use the trailer once a week or so. It will probably last another 20 yrs in its current conditon.

gzecc said:
I think it needs longer shackles and new spacers between the original frame brackets. I think the original holes have elongated...
I'm not even seeing any spacers. I agree that the holes are likely elongated. I would enlarge and lower the holes and weld in bushings. That way the length of the shackles may still be OK.

Status
Not open for further replies.