Trailer that actually dumps..

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Heem

Dec 13, 2008
Connecticut
Anyone ever see a trailer (for tractor or atv) that actually dumps? I mean, I've got a JD 17P poly trailer and I love it, but while it "dumps" it doesnt actually manage to dump most of it's contents. I need something that I can dump and not have to move the rest of it's contents by hand.

Forgive me for butting in, to dump with any "dump" trailer or truck it is directly related to the angle of the box or bed. It needs to go high enough. My dump truck was always leaving some chips in the box, resulting in me having to either get up in the box or back up and hit the brakes to get all the chips out. So my mechanic adjusted the pull off cable and it goes up past 45 degrees, ALL the chips come out now. I realize you are working with an ATV trailer but think about the shape of the bed, the angle when it has reached the full height, and weather or not you load your trailer to facilitate a dump action. I have had stuff get wedged up in the bed and had to unload by hand. The concept is the same the size is very different.

I know for the money I paid for my Bush Buggy trailer it doesn't dump worth a darn. It is well built and takes a good load...but not what I would really call a dump trailer!

I looked at some of the ATV trailers and indeed they look like "tilt bed" trailers. I saw the rubber maid trailer with removable tail gate. It actually looks like it could dump. I am out of my element though as I do not have an ATV or lawn tractor...

Heem, is the problem that the back end of the tub holds material in or that you sometimes need to move the vehicle forward to get all the material out? Is it for the lawn/garden tractor pictured in your avatar?

I know it would be of extra cost. But by adding slightly larger tires, this will increase the angle of the dump bed and make rougher terrain easier to tackle. When you purchase the tires you could also get something of a heavier ply construction or a solid tire. That will increase the life of the trailer and by lifting the bed up higher your increasing the chances of a successful dump the first time (without any extra movement or effort). Just a thought. My old craftsman dump bed, will be replaced this year with a much better and bigger unit. The tires are the weak point for me. I'm gonna get solid rubber tires or something along that line Pneumatic tires and me have bad luck. This Rubbermaid trailer looks like a good replacement.

Our ATV Club has an ATV trailer that actually dumps . . . but it was a bit pricey for most homeowners.

Status
Not open for further replies.