trailer wiring

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fabguy01

Sep 1, 2008
Ravenna Michigan
I,m gonna need to fix alot of the hack-job wiring that was done buy the previous owner of my trailer , I think that I have it all figured out but 1 thing. For the trailer brakes there are 2 wires coming from each wheel, I would naturally assume that this would be a power and a ground but didn't know if this might be for the adjustable brake force that you control from inside the cab of the truck? Any input would be appreciated

I think my brakes use 2 wires. However, the lights generally also have 2 wires and use the frame as a ground. It isn't the end of the world to test it and be wrong. Just make sure to test it with your lights on as it would not be so great to have your trailer brakes lock up at dusk with a full load of wood...

I believe the second wire is a dedicated ground because suspension systems vary . Torsion axles often are totally insulated from the frame. Some leaf springs have nonmetallic or rubber bushings that can insulate the axle from the frame.

An ohm meter between the wire and axle might give a clue.

Electric brakes typically have a power wire and a ground wire. The power signal is a variable voltage sent from the brake controller in the tow vehicle. You must have a controller installed in the tow vehicle for the electric trailer brakes to function. Rick

thanks for the info guys, got'er figured out it was a ground and a power

Status
Not open for further replies.