Train Busting Through Snow

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BrotherBart

Modesterator
Staff member
Don't know if this has been posted. If so I missed it. Too cool...

Cool!

I would not have wanted to be the first car sitting at the crossing for that one !!

Weight + Raw Power = EASY.

There's a few similar videos on YouTube. Interesting.

This was taken near my hometown. THey've been hit hard with snow in the past few weeks. I am surprised they didn't send out a plow on the tracks first.

Awesome video indeed.

Andrew

Reactions: flyingcow
Vids like that are always cool! Thanks.

Two weeks ago (just before trip to Caribbean) day after 30" storm in MA, the guy ahead of me on the interstate caught the left side snow bank with his SUV at about 75 mph.
Sucked him right in, snow shot about 20' up and out in all directions! Looked just like that! He ended up back in the road, dead stop in middle lane, white knuckles and big eyes as I started rolling again and went around him.
I would've felt bad had he not already nearly clipped the snow bank more than once already. Pays to pay attention when driving.

Isn't that at Salisbury? If so it's on the wrong side of Saint John for it to be crude, I think.

EDIT: Wrong side for Bakken or Alberta crude, that is.

Last edited:
LOL. Naw, there's no tar sand oil going there yet...not much anyway. It's likely Bakken Crude from North Dakota. The same stuff that helped incinerate this town: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lac-Mégantic_rail_disaster

Andrew
That's what I meant. Had the wrong product. I think the pipeline up/over/around Maine is in high gear isn't it? At one time they were talking of wantig the ability to move a million barrels a day into the Irving refinery?

Isn't that at Salisbury? If so it's on the wrong side of Saint John for it to be crude, I think.

EDIT: Wrong side for Bakken or Alberta crude, that is.
No, it is the right side (I think). Everything that goes to St John has to go through Moncton. They took out most of the tracks in the late 80s in the Western part of the province.

http://www.traingeek.ca/wp/trains/places/nb/

Andrew

That's what I meant. Had the wrong product. I think the pipeline up/over/around Maine is in high gear isn't it? At one time they were talking of wantig the ability to move a million barrels a day into the Irving refinery?
That I do not know...but they are trying to get the TransCanada East pipeline going. That would transport crude from Alberta to St John (largest refinery in North America).

https://warriorpublications.files.wordpress.com/2013/08/transcanada-east-west-pipeline-map-2.jpg

Andrew

More snow jobs

MBTA in Boston needs to recruit some of those engineers. Two flakes of snow and the train breaks down. If they do by some miracle get it moving, it moves at 20mph tops.

Saw that clip on the morning news. Very cool.

It's gonna be a rough one. I think there will be more videos like this, especially if we get drifts due to the high winds.

Stay safe tomorrow/Monday

A

Status
Not open for further replies.