Transfering Heat with Forced Air Blower

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bills330i

Aug 1, 2008
Northern CT
Hi, this is my 1st post. Lots of great info here.
I'm looking at purchasing an alternative heat source, most likely a wood insert for my fireplace which resides in the family room of our 2500sqft colonial. Also looking at indoor and outdoor furnaces but will likely settle on the insert.

My Question: So I have an open foyer off the family room and 2 zone (up & down) forced air heating system with a return duct in the family room. My plan is to run the blower on the heating system to distribute the heat from stove around the 1st floor. I will close the supply ducts in the family room and block the other returns on the 1st floor. Has this been tried and how effective is it?

Thanks

You will get answers all accross the board from it works great to bah humbug. You really need to try it to see if it makes a difference in YOUR setup. Sorry but that is as specific as I can get.

I have no problems with trying the system on the Fan mode, but don't block off returns or supplies. Imbalance the system and you may have fan motor issues. Just get the insert and room hot, then turn on the fan and see how temps balance out.

How is the house setup, is the family room central or at the end of the floor plan? Is this an open floor plan or one with lots of rooms with doors? What insert are you getting?

Family room is at one end but the floor plan is pretty open. I think im going to get the Jotul C350 or 450 depending on what will fit. my fireplace is on the small side. will measure today and going to look at them this evening. Im a little nervouse the stove will make the room very hot and ruin my furniture and new TV etc.

From my experience it works just ok. I use mine occasionally to send some heat downstairs. As stated above you are really just going to need to try it and see. It really depends on where your return air vents are, most are on the floor to capture the cool air that is nearer the floor. You are going to be trying to move warm air. I don't think it is super efficient but it does get some circulation going and if your moving air, you are going to move at least some warm air.

Usually the most successful systems for heat circulation are those that have insulated ducts (supply and return) in conditioned spaces so that the heat loss is minimal.

From the sounds of things you will probably do just fine with a table or box fan placed on the floor outside of the family room blowing towards the stove. You want to blow the cold air toward the hot. That may do just as good a job and use less electricity. Another possibility is if there is a ceiling fan in the family room. If there is set it to blow in reverse (upward) on low speed. That can move a lot of air silently. If you can post a sketch of the floorplan we can give a bit more guidance.

With 2500 sq ft and a fairly open floorplan, I think you are going to want the biggest insert you can get in there. What are the fireplace dimensions?

I flip on the furance fan to cool the place down when it gets too hot.
If I need heat in the addition off the back of the lower level, I use a box fan to blow cold air into the stove room. Works well.

Status
Not open for further replies.