Transformation, Experimentation, and Calculation

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

velvetfoot

Minister of Fire
Dec 5, 2005
Sand Lake, NY
What started as this,
20130423_175124.jpg

Is now this, (the cube is the experiment)
20130708_203606.jpg

I measured an equivalent length (taking into account the end slopes) of 175", depth of 165" and height of 60", and came up with 7.8 cords. Are my calcs right? If so, I'm pleasantly surprised. I didn't see the log truck that dropped the load.

175", depth of 165" and height of 60", and came up with 7.8 cords. Are my calcs right?
I believe so. That is a buttload of bricks right there! :cool:
Next experiment: How much faster will the outside rows dry compared to the middle rows?

That looks awesome! Great job!

On covering, are you going to use that entire stack in one winter? I'm guessing not, so maybe only cover what you will use in a winter and leave the rest uncovered. Or do you have a shed or outbuilding you can move some into to dry right before you burn it? I have a main pile that I leave uncovered but I stack a month's worth under my deck so it doesn't get rained or snowed on.

Nice neat stack of wood there. Your calculation is correct, feel free to round it up to 8 cords.

I would think that putting some more airspace under it could have aided greatly in the interior drying out.

What started as this,
View attachment 105991

Is now this, (the cube is the experiment)
View attachment 105992

I measured an equivalent length (taking into account the end slopes) of 175", depth of 165" and height of 60", and came up with 7.8 cords. Are my calcs right? If so, I'm pleasantly surprised. I didn't see the log truck that dropped the load.
What is the experiment? Rate of drying in cube form?

Haven't tried a cube yet. My personal experience suggests you might get more air flow with a Holtz Holden

Velvetfoot, that is a good experiment. We'll be happily waiting for the results.

Most of you have seen these pictures before so I apologize to you but just wanted to make a point. Questions always seem to arise about the middle of the stacks not drying. Check out these stacks.

Christmas-2008a.JPG Christmas-2008b.JPG Christmas-2008d.JPG
Wood-2009c.JPG

We have stacked wood like this for many, many moons now and have had well over 20 rows together. The funny part is that we stack all the rows the same height and they all also shrink as they are drying. I've always wondered why the middle rows shrink at the same rate as the outside rows? The only difference we've ever noticed is that the interior rows do not discolor like the outside rows but they do seem to be as dry as the outside rows.

By the way, in that last picture, the stack of 3 on the right is all there yet today as is part of the next stack. The wood was cut in the winter of 2008-2009. It was split during late March and early April 2009 and was stacked immediately following the splitting. It was stacked at approximately 54" high. I measured just a couple days ago in the same spot that I've measured this wood previously and it is at 45" so it lost 9" in height.

For that reason alone is why wood sellers do not want to dry their wood before selling it. Just figure out how much money they would lose in bulk plus having to handle and store the wood. This I believe is the biggest reason you can not buy good dry wood. Well, you might be able to buy a little bit if you come here for some but we don't sell much. Usually give away more than we sell....but we are a bit choosy on who we give wood to. ;)

Attachments

• Wood-2009d.JPG
    Wood-2009d.JPG
    129.3 KB · Views: 88
Reactions: Got Wood
Status
Not open for further replies.