transformer-how to know if its bad

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

barnartist

Minister of Fire
went out to my boiler this morning, and my controller had blown a fuse. after blowing another, I unhooked the lead that powers my pump. It is the laddomat, so it has to have a transformer in line for the power. I dont notice any obvious damage to it, the bottom may be slightly warped where the plastic cover contains it. I can smell only a slight burned electric aroma.
I dont know how to check it but I am assuming it is bad. Not sure what would have caused the problem, but now it xmas eve and where to I hurry and get a replacement...

Do you have a multimeter?
If so, you can check the resistance of the primary coil (input) - it should be low, like 8-10 ohms, but not a short. Then check the secondary coil - the output. It should be the same. If either is high or shorted, the transformer is bad. Also, check primary to secondary resistance - it should be very high. If it is low or shorted then again the transformer is bad.

I got mine from the HVAC supply shop; any supply house should have one.

I'm assuming that the Laddomat needs 220V power and that's the reason for the transformer?

I've considered switching my EKO to 220V to eliminate the transformer for the fan. The controller can run on either voltage. If I'm right and you need a step-up transformer, that might be harder to find at your local HVAC shop. Switching to 220V might be a cleaner long-term approach in any event since that's what the EKO was designed to use.

If you go that route, make sure there's nothing using 110V that might get vaporized.....

Medman said:
Do you have a multimeter?
If so, you can check the resistance of the primary coil (input) - it should be low, like 8-10 ohms, but not a short. Then check the secondary coil - the output. It should be the same. If either is high or shorted, the transformer is bad. Also, check primary to secondary resistance - it should be very high. If it is low or shorted then again the transformer is bad.

I got mine from the HVAC supply shop; any supply house should have one.
The primary and secondarys are not going to read the same.

I do have a meter. Will try what you said.

Nofossil, I used to think the fans needed the transformer too, but I run my controller from a 110 outlet, and the controller powers the fans. This is the first season I used the controller to power the laddomat (pump). I am using the new controller now. I am wondering if this had any effect on the transformer and made it go bad. My thoughts were to go back to plugging the tranformer and its pump starit from a wall outlet, but then I really have no indication if the pump is operating correctly or at all.

barnartist said:
went out to my boiler this morning, and my controller had blown a fuse. after blowing another, I unhooked the lead that powers my pump. It is the laddomat, so it has to have a transformer in line for the power. I dont notice any obvious damage to it, the bottom may be slightly warped where the plastic cover contains it. I can smell only a slight burned electric aroma.
I dont know how to check it but I am assuming it is bad. Not sure what would have caused the problem, but now it xmas eve and where to I hurry and get a replacement...
Can you just hook the Lado up to 220v temporarily? doesn't need to be anything fancy, just a light duty extension cord strung across the floor should do it. I run my boiler & Lado off a transformer for convenience. If your Lado pump went bad you might try putting a small Grundfoss 4 speed pump ahead of it & that is what I would do as I'm told you can't buy a replacement Laddomat pump, Randy

How do I run the cord... make the ground wire the red wire? The thing is there are only 2 lead wires going into the laddomat. I am wondering now what and why it needs to be transformed. was it only changing the hertz or is the pump needing 220. Cant find any info on it yet on the net.

barnartist said:
How do I run the cord... make the ground wire the red wire? The thing is there are only 2 lead wires going into the laddomat. I am wondering now what and why it needs to be transformed. was it only changing the hertz or is the pump needing 220. Cant find any info on it yet on the net.
Your Lado is going to be 220 volt 50 hz, I have not heard of any 60 hz units. You will have either a Wilo or Grundfoss pump on it. This needed to be transformed because of the 220 volts, hertz you cannot change like this. Find a dryer outlet or your fusebox & run the 2 hot leads of 220 to your Lado. You will need to use your judgement, if little kids are around you don't want a jury rigged cord across the floor. Your boiler is grounded anyways so I wouldn't bother with this, you said it was hooked up to 110 hopefully with a 3 wire cord. This should get you going temporarily, Randy PS, as mentioned only use the white & black leads on the extension cord.

Status
Not open for further replies.