transporting firewood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

webie

Minister of Fire
Feb 21, 2009
Wisconsin
It is getting to be a sticky situation here moving firewood from one county to another emerald ash burrow has taken care of this , I have not called a guy i use to get log lenghts from yet because I have plenty of my own right now . What doe the future hold or, us guys burning wood can we only cut in our own back yards the laws are getting pretty strict . What are your thoughts and what do you know its like the police are out to stop us from saveing money.
This sucks i am on the county line i own 40 acres of swamp land less than 2 miles from me yet i cant transport firewood over the county line ????????? what are the loggers doing is it ok for them ????????????
Anyone with thoughts or knowledge let us know please !

It's only against the law if you get caught ;-)

Is the restriction based on County lines or distance from source? I thought it was distance from source. The beetles don't know where the County lines are.

fabguy01 said:
It's only against the law if you get caught ;-)

I can't help but to be somewhat confused by the apparent disconnect between the message in your post and the message in your signature. Rick

depends here some counties are going by county line ............ that's my case camp grounds are going by there rules all the way to no firewood is allowed brought in .......this whole ordeal is a joke u tell me that across the road ( different county ) these bugs no they cant cross .............what a joke

It'll probably get bad enough were it doesn't matter anymore like here in Michigan. We can move it around the lower without any issue, we just can't move from the lower to the upper.

Here is our quarantine map. http://www.michigan.gov/documents/mda/mda_EAB_Quarantine_Map_195028_7.pdf

Fact sheet for Michigan. http://www.michigan.gov/documents/mda/mda_EAB_Firewood_Fact_Sheet_181108_7.pdf
Here is a snip from it.

"The state’s EAB interior quarantine is designed to restrict the artificial spread of
EAB. The elements of the quarantine are as follows:
• All the sixty-eight (68) contiguous county area of the Lower Peninsula is quarantined as
Level I. Movement of hardwood firewood within this 68 contiguous county area is allowed;
however, movement of hardwood firewood out of Quarantine Level I and into the Upper
Peninsula (UP), Canada, or other states is prohibited."

Yes, for some time the quarantine was just a small area, then it got bigger, etc. But over time, except for crossing the bridge, it doesn't matter.

I've talked to some officials who attended meetings on the ash borer and every one said it is all bull. They readily admitted there is nothing they can do to stop it so quarantines were really stupid. All they were trying to do is to slow it down...which they were not successful in doing anyway.

So, I say don't worry as in a couple of years you will be able to haul the wood.

As for getting caught, many were caught here in Michigan and the fines were quite high too. Is it worth the risk of penalty to haul anyway?

I've never had a bug crawl out of the ashes of my stove especially when there was a fire in it. Haven't seen one crawl out of a cold ash box either. Since the bugs supposedly only travel a short distance why not cut all the trees 50 miles out from the quarantine zone and burn them all? Kind of like a fire break. Then we'll see just how far those things can/will fly and I'd be surprised if it didn't spread after all that.

Well, that was tried around here. They were really scouting them out and down they'd come. It did nothing to stop those little buggers.

Status
Not open for further replies.