Transporting propane in BC/Canada

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cynnergy

Feeling the Heat
Oct 15, 2012
Coast, BC
Does anyone know the rules around transporting larger amounts of propane in BC/Canada? I am looking into getting 2 - 420lb tanks but I can't figure out how to move these legally in the back of a pickup truck. It would only be to drive 10 min up the road (but after the pickup was loaded on a boat, hence we can't just get them delivered).

I think I'd need to take a training course and develop an emergency response plan, put on placards, etc. Is it even possible to get insurance if I'm not a commercial operator? Can a regular gas station fill them?

In the US I believe that over 1000 lbs (Tanks & fuel) you would need placards and a Haz. mat endorsement on your CDL license.
Try googling it and see what you find.

In the US(Ohio) the tank is limited to a maximum of 5% for transportation in a pickup truck. Placards are required, but not sure and about CDL. I wouldn't think it's required since it's a 1 ton truck.

Status
Not open for further replies.