Transporting splitter in trailer

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kbrown

Feeling the Heat
Oct 19, 2008
SE, Michigan
Anyone ever transport their splitter in a trailer?
Moving mine this weekend and was planning on loading it in back end first (tongue points to rear of trailer). I was thinking that if I then put the ram in the vertical position, that heavy base plate will then be down and add some stability to it. I have about 4 or 5 1" ratchet straps to then secure it to the trailer. I think they have a 400lb working load.

Will that be enough for a freeway trip?

A couple thoughts:

If beam is vertical then a large portion of the weight will be focused directly under the beam. Also, this may make for a higher center of mass. At that point you'd be starting with a less stable situation even before you add straps.

My favorite idea is to have a trailer hitch or receiver welded to the front of the trailer, so a the splitter can lock onto a hitch ball.

I do this a lot. I mounted a 2 inch ball in the tralier this makes it very quick to lock down.

What size trailer are you going to use? A 20 ton splitter could be a drop in the bucket or a big load depending on the trailer and tow vehicle.

Ratchet straps would be fine for holding it in place, but some wheel chocks would be a good idea too.

Removed duplicate entry.

Yes. Assuming the splitter is on wheels, you can position it in the trailer to get the correct tongue weight, which is good. Horizontal may provide the lowest center of gravity for you. I would recommend the best Tie Downs you can get, due to the large rolling mass you'll have on your trailer. I used 1'' straps successfully before, but, went over a horrible bridge in bad crosswinds and had no fun. Now I take more comfort in anchoring down with the 10,000Lb 2.5'' straps. Even then, an accident could be a real disaster. As mentioned your tow "Rig" capacities will also determine the safety and comfort of your move.

I suppose it depends on how far/ fast your going etc.

Ill throw the splitter on the trailer for any OTR trip. Id hate to see my splitter hitting the potholes we have here in Rhode Island without suspension, and I drive slow!

Simple. On the way there, load it in front. Leave it horizontal!!!!! Put tounge on trailer deck, dont use stand. Load it sideways or at least crooked as you can get it. Chock wheels. I only use 1 strap tied to the front of the trailer but 2 to be safe if you dont have a gate. On the way home, jam it between the wood and the rear of the trailer....it wont go anywhere unless you have an open ended trailer. Then multiple straps and load it sideways.

Do not haul your splitter in the vertical position. The weight on the tires and jack are all you need. Strap it down pulling 1 strap pulling the splitter toward the front and one strap pulling the splitter toward the back with both ends of the strap hooked to the trailer. Basically like an A frame. The same way you would strap down a vehicle. The splitter can't move. Extra straps are for safety.

seeyal8r said:
Do not haul your splitter in the vertical position. The weight on the tires and jack are all you need. Strap it down pulling 1 strap pulling the splitter toward the front and one strap pulling the splitter toward the back with both ends of the strap hooked to the trailer. Basically like an A frame. The same way you would strap down a vehicle. The splitter can't move. Extra straps are for safety.

I borrow a buddies and this is how we put it in my 4x8 trailer. His tires are questionable for the 20 mile trip to my house to we load it tounge first in the trailer and have 1, 2" strap pulling foward and one pulling rear. It dosent move one bit if you ratchet it down hard.

I find Maple works as well as any ratchet straps do.

Attachments

• 031212 splitter in the trailer.jpg
    031212 splitter in the trailer.jpg
    234.7 KB · Views: 284
SolarAndWood said:
I find Maple works as well as any ratchet straps do.

WHAT??

Did you post this in the right topic? Do you mean you wedge the splitter in your trailer with maple rounds. Do you have a splitter in there under all those rounds??

Zoom the pic up and you will see this backed in and the wedge sticking up about mid trailer. That chain you see is around the axle but really wasn't required.

Attachments

• right side splitter.jpg
    right side splitter.jpg
    328.1 KB · Views: 238
Status
Not open for further replies.