Travelling for your stash

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Can't haul a ton at once myself, but the guy I got my stash from is only a 5-10 minute drive up the road. He keeps lots of Cubex and GranulesLG on hand.

I get mine on the way home from work EZ off EZ on the highway,but I only get 20 bags @ a time limited space for storage.

HD, Lowes and Tractor Supply are all 5 minutes from me. I usually buy once in the summer and have them delivered; although 2 days ago I went down to buy another ton.

Tom C.

will711 said:
I get mine on the way home from work EZ off EZ on the highway,but I only get 20 bags @ a time limited space for storage.

pretty much my M.O. also..
kind of bummed my local (5 mi) TSC sold out of pellets and keep getting promises that more are on the way. It's slacked off on the temps here and I've been burning down my trash pellets. I'll make a dash to quakertown and see whats happening over there.

My stove/pellet dealer is 30 miles away. I am picking up 30 bags at a time. Luckily, I pass by there for work fairly regularly. In addition it's near one of my wife's favorite restaurants, so I find myself in the area somewhat often.

Other options are Lowes and Home Depot if I am ever in a pinch.

I buy my pellets from the local stove dealer,he is 2 miles from my house.He only handles Michigan wood pellets.The next closest place is 30 miles,they sell hotter pellets but they also charge 60 more a ton.I can only haul 25 bags in my s-10,it doesn't add up to travel for better pellets.I pre bought 3 tons this spring for 180 a ton.Looks like I might need about 1-1/2 more to make it to spring.

This year I got everything from a TSC and Southern States. Both are about 30 miles away. I live in the boonies though. Nothing is close. Walmart is 30 miles too.

Next year I am going to Potomac Pellets and get a seasons worth. I test burned a few bags and love'm! Good ol' southern yellow pine. The plant is 60 miles away. They quoted me a super price too!

One pellet dealer 15 miles away and another about 25 miles. Lowes and HD are also about 12 miles. Closest is TCS at 6 miles. I try to use them all depending on brand and price.

silverfox103 said:
HD, Lowes and Tractor Supply are all 5 minutes from me. I usually by once in the summer and have them delivered; although 2 days ago I went down to buy another ton.

Tom C.

Off topic used to live in Littleton back in 81-82 there weren't any Big Box type stores in the area ( I know HD & TS ect. weren't in business yet) all mom & pop stores. We had to travel to Nashua to find Sears ect. The place must be getting built up? Enjoyed living there hated the lack of work aka no $$. Again sorry to OP for getting off topic.

TSC is about 9 miles away. I buy a ton to get a $10 discount, which about pays for the gas for the two trips I have to make, 25 bags at a time. Only catch is I have 24 hours to take the ton home. I don't know what happens if I take longer, though.

I live within about 5 miles of about 6 different sources of pellets. However, for years now I've been buying my pellets from the same stove dealer and I'm able to store them at his business until I need them. I usually store about a ton in my basement and then pick up more near the end of the heating season if I should need them. He also buys his pellets from a processing plant about 30 miles away and so we're keeping the money in our local economy. They're also good quality pellets which I pay around $240 bucks a ton for. A little pricier than other sources in my area, but worth it in my opinion given the aforementioned benefits.

I usually go about 15 miles to get my pellets but this year I found a local farmer selling pellets. He is about 2 miles away. He was about $5 a ton more but between gas and wear on the truck it ended up being cheaper.

As close as 10 miles from the house and have went as far as 100 miles (2 ton purchased from a "great dealer" and would do it again).

But the places I go most are about 25-30 miles away (Menards, TSC, Lowes, and HD).

15 miles to the independent dealer, and anywhere from 9 to 17 miles for your choice of box stores. I got most of my pellets from the dealer, with some others from the box stores for experimental purposes.

I have Finch, TSC, Southern States, Lowes, Home Depot all within 10 minutes of my house. The only quality pellets come from Finch IMO.

Hello

Wow, that is farther for me except for the Stove Shoppe

Stove Shoppe - 8.0 miles 16 mins -- New England Wood Pellets NEWP

Cyr Lumber 5.3 miles 14 mins -- Ambiance Wood Pellets

Walmart - 4.0 miles - 11 mins -- Nature's Heat Wood Pellets

Lowes - 2.9 miles - 8 mins -- Green Supreme and Maine's Choice Wood Pellets

Dodge Grain - 2.7 miles - 8 mins -- Geneva and Logic-E Wood Pellets and Maine Wood Pellets

Home Depot - 2.4 miles - 7 mins -- Stove Chow and Fireside Ultra Wood Pellets

Lowe's one mile away. For my needs don't need to look any further unless the price tempts me otherwise.

My issue isn't so much about distance. I have a HD, Lowe's, and TSC 10 miles away in the city I work in and a local supply store 1/4 mile away all selling pellets. The problem is the quality and price of the damn things. I the last 2 months prices have been climbing. Greene Team at Lowes went from $4.18 a bag to $5.49 a bag. I'm very jealous of all you guys buying great pellets for reasonable prices.

My local pellet dealer is <6mi from my house, but delivers for $30/trip (not per ton). So I tend to order and let them drop it off with the mofit. But, I also pickup odd bags when I drive by, but my car can't haul all that many bags at once.

My dealer is less than 20 minutes away. 2 Lowes & 1 Home Depot, another stove/pellet dealer, couple of hardware stores and even a supermarket between work and home = all carry pellets. Only wish I could shop around for my electric rates as is the case for the pellet availability around here. I can hardly drive 5 miles without running into pellets, its great!

Status
Not open for further replies.