Treated my old saw to a new bar and chain

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 25, 2010
Placer Co. CA
Bought a new bar and chain combo for my old saw for 45 bucks. I figured I owed my saw a little treat after abusing it for so long. It's been a great saw, hardly giving me much trouble. Recently had the oiler clog up but that fixed up easy. Anyway, took it out last weekend and it cut really well :)

tumblr_luetmrrLhh1ql8e8jo1_500.png

Make them want to eat faster :)

Make sure you give the chain a regular guided touch with a file, too.

The "forever young" thing.

Ja, about once every decade or two I treat my saw to a new bar and chain. Getting hard to find a shop that sells parts for a 30 something year old Partner so now it has a Husqvarna bar on it. I keep threatening to trade her in on a new model but she still starts on about 3 pulls so I can't complain. She doesn't oil like she used to, but a new bar every 10 years is still cheaper than all the oil some guys piss through their saws.

LLigetfa said:
Ja, about once every decade or two I treat my saw to a new bar and chain. Getting hard to find a shop that sells parts for a 30 something year old Partner so now it has a Husqvarna bar on it. I keep threatening to trade her in on a new model but she still starts on about 3 pulls so I can't complain. She doesn't oil like she used to, but a new bar every 10 years is still cheaper than all the oil some guys piss through their saws.

Yes, this saw is 20 year or so old now. So the first bar, which I am keeping and will use as backup, has seen some use. Its worn but still works. I just felt like breathing a bit of new fire into this saw. Starts right up really easy. Weighs about 20 pounds, a beast for sure. I opened up the oiler before this last cutting venture and it seemed to work just fine. :)

I get an itch for a fancy pro saw every once in awhile, but they're not an option anytime soon so I'm treating this baby well :)

Definitely keep the old bar for a backup. We too treat our saws to a new bar and chain occasionally. Then they treat us nice by cutting better too.

Backwoods Savage said:
Definitely keep the old bar for a backup. We too treat our saws to a new bar and chain occasionally. Then they treat us nice by cutting better too.

The old bar might come in handy. I got mine stuck real bad once, had to put on the old bar to cut myself out. :)
Don't forget to flip it now & then.

bogydave said:
Backwoods Savage said:

The old bar might come in handy. I got mine stuck real bad once, had to put on the old bar to cut myself out. :)
Don't forget to flip it now & then.

Yes! Totally on both handy and flipping.

I got my bar stuck twice before, but was lucky to have my dad there w/ his saw to borrow. I was probably being more careless since I knew I had a second saw avail. Second saw would be good on many fronts actually, but that will have to wait. This little Homelite XL I bought off CL isn't going anywhere fast, no time to work on it at all.

I'm happy with this bar / chain combo - for the price. A new chain alone was from $20-25 bucks, so add $20 I thought was a good deal.

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.