Trebios, pleasantly surprised

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ogilvy

Nov 30, 2011
New Brunswick
I reluctantly bought 65 bags of Trebios a week or two ago on sale at Walmart.My last experience with them (and friends experience also) was that they were very dirty but produced ok heat. On sale, good price, couldn't resist.

As with the last few bags I had, I originally planned to mix these Trebios with some better (also more expensive) pellets... cost averaging with a little less ash :)... Ran out of "good" pellets and just to remind myself how crappy the Trebios were I used them with out mixing.
Have no explanation for it as my burning habits and controls on my P38 don't change much over the season but this new batch of pellets burns great.
Least build up of the crust you have to chip out I've ever seen, burn pot relatively free of ash build up. The ash in the stove has a different texture than previous Trebios I've burnt. They still produce ash but nowhere near the mess I experienced before.

Only visible difference is the actual bag they came in. Old batch had the clear bags while the new batch has a white bag. Sad to say but i'll happily be a Walmart shopper if these pellets go on sale again at $3.88/bg.

jp

Not sure which is which but they have straight hardwoods and the other is 50-50 blend. Yes - clear bag produces more ash but I'm not sure which production it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.