tree cycle followup

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
pelletpig54 said:
Hi Everyone...I know that this thread has gone on forever but I MUST put my two cents in. I live near this plant. I know the plant manager Mike Z and the owner Bob Taggart. Bob Taggart is out to make money any way he can. I don't know what Mike is telling you folks when you call up--he may be nice as pie to get you suckered in---but the man behind him is a sheister and everyone in town knows it. Bob has a plant in Glen Gardner NJ that people can take stumps (known carcinogen), old lumber (again they don't care if it's pressure treated or not ie carcinogens), pallets and whatever else people want to "recycle". They don't use premium anything that's why the pellets are crap and don't meet the industry standards to even be called premium. They don't have to pay for quality lumber that's the reason why they are so cheap.

The plant itself is so poorly run that they are in violation of the local noise ordanances as well as failed the DEP stack tests. They are polluting the air that we all breathe. They constantly emit brown smoke from their stacks and wood fibers/debris can be found on everyone's cars, driveways, pools, roofs, etc... You can see the stuff drifting in the air. Even residents that live a mile away get the foul odors that inflame asthma conditions and irritate people's eyes. One gentlemen even said that he can no longer enjoy his garden because the smoke makes his eyes so irritated they burn and swell. My neighbors young asthmatic child asked his mother recently if he could play outside with the other kids IF HE HELD HIS BREATH. Bob Taggart knows these things and when you try to address them he screams (literally screams and swears). But worst of all---he knows he is in violation and is ruining peoples quality of life and health and keeps running, keeps advertising and doesn't fix the problems!

The reason that they are so cheap is because they are crap---just do a little research and you'll see for yourself. The latest news is that since the pellets aren't fit for heating human dwellings (hello--the fumes contain known carcinogens) they've stricken a deal with a kitty litter company to use their crap for felines to crap on!!!! I know that money is tight out there and heating our homes is getting harder and harder---but please don't use these things. Your health and the health of your family is worth the extra money spend on truly quality premium pellets not Treecyle's recycled garbage!

I guess "WOW" is pretty much the word. A member with 4 posts saying all this about a company local to him. There must be some issues there.

The TC's have been run recently and did a good job for the person using them. I don't live in the area to know if this is for real so I'll avoid comments against or for the story and will burn TC's all winter long, as I have 2 tons sitting at home.

I have one comment though. When I got delivery of the TC's the delivery guy said there was someone writing bad comments about TC on here because that person rented a spot to keep some equipment on TC's property and got into an argument and that person was getting or got kicked out of TC property. You wouldn't happen to have equipment parked, or had it parked, at TC property, would you?

Don't want to start a pellet fire here, just curious if you are the person who parked there. If they are creating a mess like you say then they should definately clean up their act. You should take some pics of smoke and ash and post them for us.

I certainly didn't want to start a "pellet fire" --just wanted to let everyone know the true story behind these pellets. They (TC) call themselves a green company yet don't care that they are damaging the environment--plain and simple.

In response to your question, I'm not aware of anyone renting a spot on the property. One of my neighbors was harrassed by the owner b/c he (the neighbor) inquired about their recent fire at a Township meeting and Taggart didn't like what was said so he came charging at him one day and yelled and carried on.

I use this forum to evaluate what pellets I should use and where the best places are to buy them. When I see folks like yourselves buying into something that may be potentially harmful I'm going to speak up. Sorry if only having four posts doesn't qualify me to do so...but again I'm just trying to let you guys know the whole story.

I have no idea what is involved in running a pellet mill. Do all pellet makers use the same machinery to make pellets? I know that the supplies that go into making pellets varies from Co. to Co.

Wouldn't all pellet mills have the same issues with smoke coming from mill?

Why is there smoke and ash involved in making pellets?

Or, are you saying that the mill fire created the smoke and ash that travelled to town?

I hope they screen any pressure treated wood from entering the mill as that would be a big problem on their hands, makes me think why would you take a chance using chemical treated woods. Even if it went into animal bedding it will be a big issue, why risk it. Isn't there tests done to animal bedding to make sure it's safe, as animals may eat it?

So many questions, sorry.

I'm registered on various sites from diesel garage to arborists to hearth and others and can't tell much about a person when there are only 4 posts to their name that is why I said "only 4 posts". I didn't say it to offend you in any way and if I did I am truly sorry.

j-takeman said:
Why do I get the feeling there's more to this story and we are only hearing one sided info? Hmmmm!

That is the feeling I got. Especially the town meeting, was it about trying to shut down the mill???? Spreading info like that will slow business down and could do just that, is that the intent of the story? I don't want to call anyone a liar here but it is just a one sided story.

Again, I'm not writing this to offend anyone.

I want to see pics of the mill running to see if it lets out more smoke than my local asphalt plant.

There are hurt feeling definitely in our community over TC. I'm sure on their side they are tired of hearing complaints about their noise and pollution but to my knowledge they are the only plant in the NE that resides so close to residential areas.

Anyway--as far as the pellets go--the DEP has given them notice that they failed their stack test. Not sure if any chemical composition has been done to evaluate what or if any toxins are released in the smoke. Trying to get pics uploaded as I type...

pelletpig54 said:
There are hurt feeling definitely in our community over TC. I'm sure on their side they are tired of hearing complaints about their noise and pollution but to my knowledge they are the only plant in the NE that resides so close to residential areas.

Anyway--as far as the pellets go--the DEP has given them notice that they failed their stack test. Not sure if any chemical composition has been done to evaluate what or if any toxins are released in the smoke. Trying to get pics uploaded as I type...

Is there a way to get the stack test report?

I can't open the link above. If noise is the problem when mill is running during regular business daytime hours then I wonder what it would be like listening to the I-95 noise that runs 24-7 with all the trucking running through.

I have not read the link because I can't open it but I'm getting a feeling most of this talk is just because of noise, IDK it's just a feeling and could be wrong and will appolize if I am wrong. I'm not here to argue as I do not live near the mill and do not have to deal with whatever is going on. Instead of seeing a local company inch their way up the ladder it seems some want them eliminated. I hate seeing some of my local shops/stores go down, it seems that the town I live in and surrounding towns go down with them.

How far away is the closest home to the mill, +-500 feet? Farther or Closer. Is it noisier than an Asphalt plant starting up as early as 5:30 in the morning and sometimes working through the night when paving nights and having the closest homes 800-1000 feet away and 20-30 trucks running in and out? Maybe I should get them to change the plant to a pellet mill but we need asphalt to fix our roads.

I will definately take all this back if the issue isn't mostly about the noise and everything else is just picking. I'm sure there are tests, for the smoke, to do and see if they are using chemicals, again that is an issue and yes that should be taken care of. Now, noise shouldn't have to be a problem if it is during normal business hours, 8am to 8pm M-SAT.

NOW, if it's the pellets being manufactured with pressure treated woods then I would want it cleaned up. I am all for recycling trees, chips whatever is tree related but without the chemicals of course and final pellet needs to meet our expectations.

Right now all I can say about TC pellets is they smell good and can't wait to see how they burn. I found a mill about 45 minutes south of me and plan on taking a trip down there in the next few months to grab a couple bags. Now I'm in NJ. Sadly, farms are disappearing. Exactly what it is surrounding this mill, IDK but I'm sure there are homes pretty close.

pelletpig54 said:

Interesting stuff in the report. Way to much to link here. But I liked this one
At this point, yelling and swearing then ensued by Mr. Saylor.
Chairman, Michael Engler then called a halt to this. He told Mr. Saylor that this was the
second meeting in a row that he has stood up and sworn constantly. Thankfully, there are
no children here because they don’t belong here, but we are adults and not children but
we are acting like children and he is sick and tired of this.
Chairman Engler reported that this bickering is going to stop. Anybody, from this day
forth, any meeting in this room if you get up and stand up and argue, cuss and swear, the
cops are going to be here and you are done. Whatever happens, happens!

Your not Mr. Saylor are you? Seems you only came here to bash Tree Cycle's name! This is the only thread you posted in and never said anything in any other pellet related threads. We have no dog in your fight and Don't need to listen to you bashing them.

Chairman Engler felt that we need to understand that the Taggarts don’t hide from you
people. They don’t come for confrontation. They want to be a good neighbor. They have
come and tried to do what they could. We need to let them do what they have to do.

I would take his advice and leave them be. Let them fix what issues it is that bothers you. Coming here makings sparks doesn't fix anything. Sounds more like slander to me!

For those that want to read the report. The site software has issues with spaces and % 20 in the postings.

http://www.twp.plainfield.pa.us/BOS click this It will give an error. Then add % then 20 then Minutes.pdf

pelletpig54 said:
I use this forum to evaluate what pellets I should use and where the best places are to buy them. When I see folks like yourselves buying into something that may be potentially harmful I'm going to speak up. Sorry if only having four posts doesn't qualify me to do so...but again I'm just trying to let you guys know the whole story.

I wanted to pick at this before but left it alone. When I saw you only had 4 posts (and now 6), I went to check and they were and are all on this thread about TC. When you say you use this forum to 'evaluate what pellets you should use and where the best places are to buy them' Why were all your posts here?

pelletnubi said:
pelletpig54 said:

I wanted to pick at this before but left it alone. When I saw you only had 4 posts (and now 6), I went to check and they were and are all on this thread about TC. When you say you use this forum to 'evaluate what pellets you should use and where the best places are to buy them' Why were all your posts here?

The Gentleman has an opinion.... His low post count means nothing to me ...... How many posts are needed until your opinion means anything??? You could read the info on this site for days and not comment but you still took away info.. Low post count doesn't mean he does not use the site...... That's just my opinion....

BadDad320 said:
pelletnubi said:
pelletpig54 said:

The Gentleman has an opinion.... His low post count means nothing to me ...... How many posts are needed until your opinion means anything??? You could read the info on this site for days and not comment but you still took away info.. Low post count doesn't mean he does not use the site...... That's just my opinion....

And I have nothing against low post count as everyone has to start from 1. I'm just curious how to why all 6 posts are about TC if he came here to evaluate what pellets to use knowing that he has a pellet mill in his backyard.

If you have an interest in other pellets would you not ask about them in other threads or start your own thread? My opinion here is he just wants to post on this thread for a reason of his own and it still feels like it's to bash the mill in his backyard. Let's not turn this into a post count issue.

BTW, pelletpig54 with all the reading you may have done here about the choices to get, what pellets did you choose to recently get and where or who did you get them from or are you getting them from? I want to have some options for next year.

There were issues with noise (local paper), with some neighbors. I know they were erecting fencing or sound barriers etc. I have no problems with there pellets at all.....A good friend of mine lives within a mile or less and does not hear anything, however, he can hear the highway about 3-5 miles away....not saying the poster does not have a concern, but bashing is not warrented from what I have seen. I have been to the mill many times and if anyone want to contact Mike Z, I have put those numbers in earlier. I have no vested interest in TC, only letting people know of a good startup that is making strides for a good pellet. Form your own opinions......good luck.

Jim

Thank you BadDad320. I do read other posts but choose to write in this forum to advise you folks of what you don't read or hear about. I think that I explained that in my other replies but it seems that pelletnubi only thinks I'm here to bash. No I am not Art, but I know him and he did loose his temper in that meeting. What jay-takeman left out (or perhaps wasn't in the minutes) was that Bob Taggart started the shouting and the "whoa as me" routine which is what I find most annoying. Bottom line is this---TC may have improved their pellets---I don't know b/c I will never use them. I don't trust the manufacturer b/c I personally have seen how untrustworthy he his. That is my personal opinion. Also---everyone should keep in mind that TreeCycle choose the site which it built on. We didn't choose TreeCycle. The folks who live along the I-95 corridor moved their knowingly. I don't mind a new business. My family owns several small diners so I know how important industry is...but when someone consistently doesn't follow the laws of the land or his own promises they shouldn't be in business or atleast (which is what all of us want) be in compliance to the laws and not emit dangerous smoke/emmissions.

BTW: I prefer New Englands as my favorite brand and I also like ACP--although they tend to be a bit ashy. I've used Keystone Pellets before with no problem and Canada Green (atleast that's the name I think). I am looking forward to trying out pellets from the new plant in Palmerton (which I posted about twice (and not TC). I used to buy pellets from Cozy Barn but now buy from Northampton Farm Bureau, Tractor Supply and Kaiser's or wherever else there is a good price. Hence me joining Hearth.com.

Thank you BadDad320. I do read other posts but choose to write in this forum to advise you folks of what you don't read or hear about. I think that I explained that in my other replies but it seems that pelletnubi only thinks I'm here to bash. No I am not Art, but I know him and he did loose his temper in that meeting. What jay-takeman left out (or perhaps wasn't in the minutes) was that Bob Taggart started the shouting and the "whoa as me" routine which is what I find most annoying. Bottom line is this---TC may have improved their pellets---I don't know b/c I will never use them. I don't trust the manufacturer b/c I personally have seen how untrustworthy he his. That is my personal opinion. Also---everyone should keep in mind that TreeCycle choose the site which it built on. We didn't choose TreeCycle. The folks who live along the I-95 corridor moved their knowingly. I don't mind a new business. My family owns several small diners so I know how important industry is...but when someone consistently doesn't follow the laws of the land or his own promises they shouldn't be in business or atleast (which is what all of us want) be in compliance to the laws and not emit dangerous smoke/emmissions.
BTW: I prefer New Englands as my favorite brand and I also like ACP--although they tend to be a bit ashy. I've used Keystone Pellets before with no problem and Canada Green (atleast that's the name I think). I am looking forward to trying out pellets from the new plant in Palmerton (which I posted about twice (and not TC). I used to buy pellets from Cozy Barn but now buy from Northampton Farm Bureau, Tractor Supply and Kaiser's or wherever else there is a good price. Hence me joining Hearth.com.

pelletpig54 said:

OK, you introduced yourself on this TC thread on your first post and after reading that post I got the impression you accused TC of setting a fire to their own mill.

Your second post was talking about another mill opening up and because it was posted on this thread I got the impression that you want to break the treecycle followup thread and start talking about the new plant instead. Which I would have started a new thread to ask about the new mill. I wonder who will be putting up with the noise from the new mill.

Your third post was about how TC uses landscaping waste to make pellets. By reading this thread from beginning you would have found that TC's pellets were garbage to some users but by end of last year they changed their way of making them and produced a better pellet which was tested twice by J. Now it's been at least 8 months with the better product and you still bashed the product without using them yourself. I don't know what they use but they smell good and hope they burn good as well, just don't want to find out there is treated lumber mixed in. Then I'll bash them myself if I see scientific proof of it.

Your fourth post was the 'WOW' post and now I'm wondering if that was put together after the meeting about TC didn't go so well.

To get back to the thread "TREE CYCLE FOLLOWUP". I will burn my two tons of TC and will post a FOLLOWUP of how they performed. If they work for me this year and the price is competitive next year they will be my choice again. We will wait and see the burn results.

If the coming comments have nothing to do with actual burns of TC then it will not be of any use for people actually interested and wanting to see results of TreeCycle pellets on this thread.

If there is a problem with the mill maybe start a thread about it. my two cents.

Pelletnubi--you're the one who seems to have a problem with the opinions I stated and I think that if you have so many questions/comments you should take your own advice and stop using this Treecycle thread and PM me instead of wasting everyone elses time reading "scalding" emails back at me.

pelletpig54 said:
Pelletnubi--you're the one who seems to have a problem with the opinions I stated and I think that if you have so many questions/comments you should take your own advice and stop using this Treecycle thread and PM me instead of wasting everyone elses time reading "scalding" emails back at me.

I'll stop with the truth to try and let this thread go back to original intent of talking about how TC pellets perform. Since you don't burn or have any intention of burning TC, I guess you can't comment on how they burn. At this point even if you decide to burn them I wouldn't take your comment into consideration, whether or not I would want to purchase them again. I'll let you win and hope this thread goes back to what it was started for, to show the performance of these pellets. Again if you have a problem with the mill please start a thread about it. Thanks

pelletpig54, welcome to the forum. :)

I'm sure you understand why I'm a little skeptical, BUT on the other hand, I have to give you the benefit of the doubt. YOU may know something WE don't, regardless of post count. YOU'RE in the area, so you claim, and may be seeing this first hand. Personally, I think it's wrong to jump and judge you just because you may have info on TC. One thing you can do is show PROOF. Show pics, legit articles, news links, etc. Like you said, WE all have a right to know if something is not right. But as for NOW, TC has a better pellet and some members found them to work well.

poconoman said:
pelletpig54, welcome to the forum. :)

I'm sure you understand why I'm a little skeptical, BUT on the other hand, I have to give you the benefit of the doubt. YOU may know something WE don't, regardless of post count. YOU'RE in the area, so you claim, and may be seeing this first hand. Personally, I think it's wrong to jump and judge you just because you may have info on TC. One thing you can do is show PROOF. Show pics, legit articles, news links, etc. Like you said, WE all have a right to know if something is not right. But as for NOW, TC has a better pellet and some members found them to work well.

Kind of what I was thinking. If we just took pelletpig54's word for it. This would be one sided. I always like to hear both sides to properly judge.

Back to what the thread was about! I got some good news for the people in NW CT. BT Enterprises is now carrying Tree Cycles brand. I just saw them yesterday and they have them listed for $220/ton. I will try to get 2 bags for a new test and show. They just unloaded the truck and didn't have any tons opened up yet. My next trip by should be able to pick some up! :)

poconoman said:
Sounds great Jake. Hopefully they perform well for you.

His name is not Jake it's J-takeman. Sounds familiar. LOL Don't know if you remember

J, my son is going to have a day off from school soon, don't know exactly what day, but I'm taking a trip upstate NY and driving up thruway. I don't know how far you would be from the thruway but I could bring a couple bags of TC with me for you to try. I'm getting off at exit 18 to take 28w to Margarettsville. The problem is I will be towing about 9k lbs of just the camper and really can't go site seeing. If you are closer to 87 than the place you say is now carrying TC I'll bring a couple bags and we can meet at an exit or rest stop between exit 17-18 or is it between 16-17.

Edit: If weather is good columbus day weekend is the camping trip I'm planning. I'm probably going to head up late Friday but most likely it will be early Saturday morning. If you think it's closer and you can wait till then I'll throw a couple bags in back of the truck.

Status
Not open for further replies.