tree cycle followup

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jim H. said:
The top of the new bag on the corner says 10-09 where as the previous one I had says 09-09.
These are the only numbers I can see...hope this helps.

Jim, where did you get them? Treecycle doesn't have a dealer locator.

EDIT: They do have an email requesting for dealers.

I picked up 4 bags of these on Sunday. It is Weds and I have put the last of the second bag into the hopper this morning. I can feel these are burning hot! I went to dump the ash pan last night, and there was about half of what I get with the O'Malleys pellets. I do notice that there is ash built up on the baffle, but that does not bother me. The ash pan has less ash and that makes me happy!

I am picking up a ton or 2 hopefully today. They are $200 a ton picked up, or 230 delivered from Cozy Barn in Wind Gap, PA. These are the bags marked 10/09.

Steve

Annnnnd Cozy Barn is all out. They are expecting more in today.

nailhead said:
I picked up 4 bags of these on Sunday. It is Weds and I have put the last of the second bag into the hopper this morning. I can feel these are burning hot! I went to dump the ash pan last night, and there was about half of what I get with the O'Malleys pellets. I do notice that there is ash built up on the baffle, but that does not bother me. The ash pan has less ash and that makes me happy!

I am picking up a ton or 2 hopefully today. They are $200 a ton picked up, or 230 delivered from Cozy Barn in Wind Gap, PA. These are the bags marked 10/09.

Steve

$200 a ton is very good if they're a much better pellet.

I just have to figure out if I am loading up my trailer or not. Kind of a pain when you don't have a pallet jack (yet). I think I fit 2 tons in my Excursion. ;)

Well, I just hung up Mike and he didn't have real good news. I wanted to exchange my pellets tonight but he said he didn't have any. He also said that their investors might be pulling out and they will wind up closing the operation. I need to call back the end of next week to see what is going on. He also said it sucks because the latest bath is excellent. We'll see what happens.

slvrblkk said:
Well, I just hung up Mike and he didn't have real good news. I wanted to exchange my pellets tonight but he said he didn't have any. He also said that their investors might be pulling out and they will wind up closing the operation. I need to call back the end of next week to see what is going on. He also said it sucks because the latest bath is excellent. We'll see what happens.

WTF? Man, that sucks. I guess when you don't do it right the first time, you get a bad rap and sales dip. The new improved pellets might be too late to reverse the negative affect.

poconoman said:
slvrblkk said:

WTF? Man, that sucks. I guess when you don't do it right the first time, you get a bad rap and sales dip. The new improved pellets might be too late to reverse the negative affect.

I agree, Totally stinks. Just when Mike got it right. I was hoping for some pellet house near me to pick them up. Well Mike gave it his best shot and it wasn't for lack of effort. Every mill I know has had startup issue's. Lets hope they change there mind and go forward. IMO they should come here and check out the latest comments. Most of us seem like we would give them another chance.

Good luck Mike, Hope everything works out for you!

slvrblkk said:

Here I am reading my first thread on this site and it ends with this comment. Hope this is just a rumor. Because of all the testing and good end results I'm hoping this is a rumor so that I can count on using treecycle for my pellet usage. I've been using 7-8 cords of wood per season for 5 seasons now but this is my first season with pellets to heat other side of house and I may make the 75 mile trip next week to Nazareth if there is some ooopppps bags I can throw into my trailer. Should I call Mike first at the # listed at beginning of thread to check availability.

pelletnubi said:
slvrblkk said:

Here I am reading my first thread on this site and it ends with this comment. Hope this is just a rumor. Because of all the testing and good end results I'm hoping this is a rumor so that I can count on using treecycle for my pellet usage. I've been using 7-8 cords of wood per season for 5 seasons now but this is my first season with pellets to heat other side of house and I may make the 75 mile trip next week to Nazareth if there is some ooopppps bags I can throw into my trailer. Should I call Mike first at the # listed at beginning of thread to check availability.

I wish it were a rumor but that is what he told me. He said if the investors don't front anymore money, he will be forced to shut down operations. I'm ASSUMING he meant the pellet side of the operations. Feel free to call him. He told me to call at the end of next week to see what was going on. He joked and said if he answers his Blackberry it would be a good sign since the investors pay that bill...lol

I hope that is not true. Cozy Barn just sold 22 tons of them in 2 days. They just got another delivery today, I picked up 1 ton, and they had about 3 pallets left from the truckload they received (assuming 11 pallets?). People kept coming in while I was there getting the Tree Cycles. This was at 5:45 P.M.

I'm good for now and may pick up another ton next week, if they can still get them.

jtakeman said:
poconoman said:
slvrblkk said:

I agree, Totally stinks. Just when Mike got it right. I was hoping for some pellet house near me to pick them up. Well Mike gave it his best shot and it wasn't for lack of effort. Every mill I know has had startup issue's. Lets hope they change there mind and go forward. IMO they should come here and check out the latest comments. Most of us seem like we would give them another chance.

Good luck Mike, Hope everything works out for you!

Hello,

Just picked up 70 bags of treecycle dated 09-09.
They are horrible.
They burn a weird orange with a tint of green color.
If you ask me they were throwing landscape cleanup debrees or dirty stumps in there.

The ash or "glass" if you like...It looks like ash but is fused together & I can pick up the whole clump in one piece.

My HARMAN Advance which is an excellent stove is even having problems pushing/breaking the "wall of solidifiied ash" off the burn pot.

Not too happy to see they may go under.
I presume there may have been other issues than just financing based upon these pellets I have.

Sincerely,

Genetto said:
I bought 2 tons of the Treecycle pellets. With my normal settings, my first burn resulted in monster, hard, glassy clinkers. I have a Bixby stove that I can fine tune via a computer interface. To get around the clinker formation, I set parameters for a cooler flame and shorten the ash-dump intervals quite a bit. Doing so allows me to burn the Treecycle pellets but decreases the burn efficiency and dumps a greater amount of partially burned pellets.

Since the Treecycle pellet mill is only several miles from my home their price is much lower than other brands but I don’t believe I’m saving anything.

Steve

<|>

Batch Dated 09-09...

You want to know whats in your pellets????

I took a handfull & threw them in a half gallon plastic milk container I cut the top off of.
Filled it with hot water & waited 10min.
Agitated them with my hand slightly as I continually ran water mid force to keep lighter particles buoyant.

I got a fingernail sized surface area full of tiny pebbles of rock/granite material along with misc. beach sand & smaller finer sand/particles.
The largest is about 1/8" in diameter.

I did this after breaking apart the ash clump & I saw something that looked like a piece of Gypsum & another piece of what looked like a tiny clump of soil/dirt burned dry.

They could make it up to me by taking these 70bags back & give me 120 bags for my troubles & travel time/gas/etc.

One good reason why we get "glassy clinkers" is cause thats what it is...fired sand/etc.

Most Sincerely,

H ADVANCE said:
Genetto said:
I bought 2 tons of the Treecycle pellets. With my normal settings, my first burn resulted in monster, hard, glassy clinkers. I have a Bixby stove that I can fine tune via a computer interface. To get around the clinker formation, I set parameters for a cooler flame and shorten the ash-dump intervals quite a bit. Doing so allows me to burn the Treecycle pellets but decreases the burn efficiency and dumps a greater amount of partially burned pellets.

Since the Treecycle pellet mill is only several miles from my home their price is much lower than other brands but I don’t believe I’m saving anything.

Steve

<|>

Batch Dated 09-09...

I took a handfull & threw them in a half gallon plastic milk container I cut the top off of.
Agitated them with my hand slightly as I continually ran water mid force to keep lighter particles buoyant.

I got a fingernail sized surface area full of tiny pebbles of rock/granite material along with misc. beach sand & smaller finer sand/particles.

I did this after breaking apart the ash clump & I saw something that looked like a piece of Gypsum & another piece of what looked like a tiny clump of soil/dirt burned dry.

They could make it up to me by taking these 70bags back & give me 120 bags for my troubles & travel time/gas/etc.

One good reason why we get "glassy clinkers" is cause thats what it is...fired sand/etc.

Most Sincerely,

NEARLY FORGOT:

With that refund in purchase I would evaluate/critique the pellets carefully & give a proper real review.

H ADVANCE said:
H ADVANCE said:
Genetto said:

Steve

<|>

Batch Dated 09-09...

Most Sincerely,

NEARLY FORGOT:

With that refund in purchase I would evaluate/critique the pellets carefully & give a proper real review.

Excuse me?

jtakeman said:
H ADVANCE said:
H ADVANCE said:
Genetto said:

Steve

<|>

Batch Dated 09-09...

Most Sincerely,

NEARLY FORGOT:

Excuse me?

Appologies...

I should say a re-evaluation of dirt content in comparison to the test I just & will do again more carefully tomorrow.
I do appreciate your findings & efforts you go to test.

Thats what got me going...

Thanks.

H ADVANCE said:
jtakeman said:
H ADVANCE said:
H ADVANCE said:
Genetto said:

Steve

<|>

Batch Dated 09-09...

Most Sincerely,

NEARLY FORGOT:

Excuse me?

Appologies...

I should say a re-evaluation of dirt content in comparison to the test I just & will do again more carefully tomorrow.
I do appreciate your findings & efforts you go to test.

Thats what got me going...

Thanks.

Appologies accepted. Just wanted an explaination on what you were refering to. I wouldn't be happy if I just bought 70 bags of the first batches too! I understand!

By the sounds of what your burning you got the older, Not very good batch. I didn't get clinkers, I got the pebbles(because my stove has a mixer in the pot). Pebbles come from silica or sand. The later batch is much better. I wasn't at all impressed with the first batch either. I think they call it the new mill blues! Last year it was MWP and ACP.

I hope they exchange them and you get some of the new batch. I would like to here your thoughs and how well they burn for you too!

That does stink. Hope they can get it back together and make another run at it. And of course thanks Jay for another quality testing job. Way to get to the real deal.

Schoondog

This was quoted by H ADVANCE ON PREVIOUS PAGE

"Hello,

They are horrible.
If you ask me they were throwing landscape cleanup debrees or dirty stumps in there.

The ash or "glass" if you like...It looks like ash but is fused together & I can pick up the whole clump in one piece.

My HARMAN Advance which is an excellent stove is even having problems pushing/breaking the "wall of solidifiied ash" off the burn pot.

I presume there may have been other issues than just financing based upon these pellets I have.

Sincerely,[/quote]"

My question to H ADVANCE is "Where did you go to purchase the 70 bags of the older batch?" Just curious to know who else carries treecycle that still have the old batch laying around.

I have seen the older batches all around Warren County..... I would be careful as the first batches were pretty bad......

pelletnubi said:
This was quoted by H ADVANCE ON PREVIOUS PAGE

"Hello,

They are horrible.

Sincerely,
"

My question to H ADVANCE is "Where did you go to purchase the 70 bags of the older batch?" Just curious to know who else carries treecycle that still have the old batch laying around.[/quote]

Guy out of Dover nj area.

I am mixing this batch 50-50 with a few bags of Curran I picked up a Lowes.
Will let you know how the ash clump does.
I think it may work.
However now I have to go buy 70 bags I do not need just to burn the treecycles 09-09's.
Which means I will have a 50-50 mix of 70bags I do not have the room to store till next season!

This is where good customer service comes in...I hope.
Hey, Things happen & it looks like they corrected the issues.

I like the treecycle idea/business plan.
Thats why I bought them.

I do appreciate that the problem with this batch could have been an Employee machine operator that yes'd his Boss but was incompetent.

However

There is a tree cycle plant in jersey i believe....? This one we have been talking about is specifically in Nazareth pa. Jus making sure we are talking about the same plant here. I to am sorry to hear about the situation....I am waiting on an email from Mike to hear 1st hand though.

I still have 10 tons of the old ones in stock. We have people that are ok with them because they are cheaper than any thing else. I hope they stay open I was planing on using them as a third supplier for pellets. I have to give them a lot of credit they started up not knowing much "I think" about what should and shouldn't be used as material but instead of just saying oh well they took the time to fix the product and worked with people not against them. We need more pellet mills that care as much as they do I think.

How are you guys able to tell what batch you are using? I checked the bag this morning, I didn't see any code in the corners other than the UPC code.

If you don't know which batch you have you most likely have the older stuff..... The newer stuff was limited run ......

Status
Not open for further replies.