tree cycle followup

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
H ADVANCE said:
slvrblkk said:
Any update on the pellets?????????? Hopefully they have some.

I spoke with Mike early afternoon.
They had a snag on finding a replacement conveyor belt that was an issue.
Which is OK for me since I would rather my pellets be made from "wood"!

My schedule does not line up till the weekend or early next week.

I am busy with work so will not call till Thursday at 5:00.
Right now we are not the only ones trying to get them.
They have trailer orders they are behind on.

I spoke to a supplier today about the Treecycles.
He said their recent pellet is superior to those prior.
Also let me know that Mike is doing a good job of getting the quality together.
He said that when the Hamer's came out it took them over 1 1/2 years to get their pellets right.
By this & from what I have read on this thread. Treecycle is doing well for 7-8 months.

I will ask Mike to "put them aside" for me if possible.

If anyone wants to try a few bags. I could pick them up & meet You on my way back to North Jersey.
I am heading 80W to 287N to the Pompton Lakes area.

The anticipation is killing me!

Spoke with Mike after 5:00pm.
The mill is still down.
He is anticipating yet another few days.
Will try again Monday.

Being there is only 2-4 weeks of cold nights left.
I am hoping they get er' running soon so I could burn these better Treecycles.

Have a Great Weekend!

LEN

H ADVANCE said:
H ADVANCE said:
slvrblkk said:
Any update on the pellets?????????? Hopefully they have some.

I spoke with Mike early afternoon.
They had a snag on finding a replacement conveyor belt that was an issue.
Which is OK for me since I would rather my pellets be made from "wood"!

My schedule does not line up till the weekend or early next week.

I am busy with work so will not call till Thursday at 5:00.
Right now we are not the only ones trying to get them.
They have trailer orders they are behind on.

I spoke to a supplier today about the Treecycles.
He said their recent pellet is superior to those prior.
Also let me know that Mike is doing a good job of getting the quality together.
He said that when the Hamer's came out it took them over 1 1/2 years to get their pellets right.
By this & from what I have read on this thread. Treecycle is doing well for 7-8 months.

I will ask Mike to "put them aside" for me if possible.

If anyone wants to try a few bags. I could pick them up & meet You on my way back to North Jersey.
I am heading 80W to 287N to the Pompton Lakes area.

The anticipation is killing me!

Spoke with Mike after 5:00pm.
The mill is still down.
He is anticipating yet another few days.
Will try again Monday.

Being there is only 2-4 weeks of cold nights left.
I am hoping they get er' running soon so I could burn these better Treecycles.

Have a Great Weekend!

LEN
Last Thursday it sounded like production was just about to get started that day so I guess it's still not up. It looks like spring is here and I was also hoping to try these this winter. Hope they get the mill back together and going again to stock up for next winter at least.

Any updates on Treecycle???? Any new product available yet???

BadDad320 said:

Finally had time to go pick up those NEW TREECYCLE Pellets Mike promised.
I have to say Mike is a stand up guy & good for His Word.
Not too many people good for their word these days...

He has made a better product with this batch I have.
Mike mentioned He "just now" pulled in some new high quality wood suppliers!
So expect even another jump up in quality in the coming batches once
delivery from their new suppliers commences.

I burned a few bags.
Pellets not have the problems of the 9-09 bag dated batch.
Plus they burn cleaner & hotter!
My Employee even said they smell & Burn better without asking Him.
I will post a more detailed explanation of how they are.
However They are of a quality now that I would buy.
I actually cant wait till their newer wood suppliers batches get run!
Mike wants to get a few bags to me to try.

The bags I have now are dated 10-09.
However the Pellets were just recently run.
The bags were dated at time of their manufacture.
So can't go by the date.
Mike is trying to get a better dating system going.
May even change the look of the bag...

If Mike keeps weeding out the suppliers that were "tainting" the quality of the wood they were sending
& keeps pulling in these quality suppliers the NEWEST TREECYCLE Pellets could be a product
that could compete with the best of them.
I hope to see them get there.
Would be fantastic to see a local company succeed providing local jobs.

Sincerely,
LEN

jtakeman said:
H ADVANCE said:
jtakeman said:
H ADVANCE said:
H ADVANCE said:
Genetto" date="1262218435 said:
I bought 2 tons of the Treecycle pellets. With my normal settings, my first burn resulted in monster, hard, glassy clinkers. I have a Bixby stove that I can fine tune via a computer interface. To get around the clinker formation, I set parameters for a cooler flame and shorten the ash-dump intervals quite a bit. Doing so allows me to burn the Treecycle pellets but decreases the burn efficiency and dumps a greater amount of partially burned pellets.

Since the Treecycle pellet mill is only several miles from my home their price is much lower than other brands but I don’t believe I’m saving anything.

Steve

<|>

Batch Dated 09-09...

You want to know whats in your pellets????

I took a handfull & threw them in a half gallon plastic milk container I cut the top off of.
Filled it with hot water & waited 10min.
Agitated them with my hand slightly as I continually ran water mid force to keep lighter particles buoyant.

I got a fingernail sized surface area full of tiny pebbles of rock/granite material along with misc. beach sand & smaller finer sand/particles.
The largest is about 1/8" in diameter.

I did this after breaking apart the ash clump & I saw something that looked like a piece of Gypsum & another piece of what looked like a tiny clump of soil/dirt burned dry.

They could make it up to me by taking these 70bags back & give me 120 bags for my troubles & travel time/gas/etc.

One good reason why we get "glassy clinkers" is cause thats what it is...fired sand/etc.

Most Sincerely,

NEARLY FORGOT:

With that refund in purchase I would evaluate/critique the pellets carefully & give a proper real review.

Excuse me?

Appologies...

I should say a re-evaluation of dirt content in comparison to the test I just & will do again more carefully tomorrow.
I do appreciate your findings & efforts you go to test.

Thats what got me going...

Thanks.

Appologies accepted. Just wanted an explaination on what you were refering to. I wouldn't be happy if I just bought 70 bags of the first batches too! I understand!

By the sounds of what your burning you got the older, Not very good batch. I didn't get clinkers, I got the pebbles(because my stove has a mixer in the pot). Pebbles come from silica or sand. The later batch is much better. I wasn't at all impressed with the first batch either. I think they call it the new mill blues! Last year it was MWP and ACP.

I hope they exchange them and you get some of the new batch. I would like to here your thoughs and how well they burn for you too!

Jay,
Burned few bags of the NEW TREECYCLE Pellets.
Below is a copied post from another thread.
I dont want anyone to think I am spamming this company.

When you see the determination & the honest efforts this Company
is making to produce a quality Pellet & Right any wrongs.
You can't help but tell it like it is...

"Might want to give TREECYCLE another try…
Below is a repost from treecycle followup thread.
I would keep an eye on this company.
IMO-They are getting the bugs worked out in their new mill.

“Finally had time to go pick up those NEW TREECYCLE Pellets Mike promised.
Not too many people good for their word these days…

Mike mentioned He “just now” pulled in some new high quality wood suppliers!

I burned a few bags.
(added-Especially I do not have the edge of my burn pot clogged with a wall of congealed ash that wont drop off.
Now the ash is incredably better. I do not have this issue with these NEW TREECYCLES.)

So can’t go by the date.
May even change the look of the bag…

If Mike keeps weeding out the suppliers that were “tainting” the quality of the wood they were sending
& keeps pulling in these quality suppliers the NEWEST TREECYCLE Pellets could be a product

Sincerely,
LEN "

H ADVANCE said:
BadDad320 said:

Finally had time to go pick up those NEW TREECYCLE Pellets Mike promised.
Not too many people good for their word these days...

Mike mentioned He "just now" pulled in some new high quality wood suppliers!

I burned a few bags.

So can't go by the date.
May even change the look of the bag...

If Mike keeps weeding out the suppliers that were "tainting" the quality of the wood they were sending

Sincerely,
LEN
Glad to hear it's working out for you.

I've been using up what I had purchased locally before I heard about treecycle but now that the end of the season is here it's hard to get my pellet stove fired up with my wood stove still burning. But hope to try Mike's new product for sure beginning next season as I can't store anything right now so have to wait closer to end of summer and probably pick up a few tons.

Glad to hear it's working out for you.

I've been using up what I had purchased locally before I heard about treecycle but now that the end of the season is here it's hard to get my pellet stove fired up with my wood stove still burning. But hope to try Mike's new product for sure beginning next season as I can't store anything right now so have to wait closer to end of summer and probably pick up a few tons.[/quote]

Yep.
Happy it worked out.
"All is well that ends well".

You should be getting an even far superior product from Treecycle by then.
These ones I have are the best out of the few different types I bought.

IMO-Especially once they get their new wood suppliers (a debarked wood)
running in the near future.
Though the ones I have now are clearly superior to the old ones & have at least 35-55%
less Silica in them.
I could only imagine what the addition of "debarked" wood will add to the mix.
Since much silica is in the bark.

I do believe it could be a decent product to early purchase.
When Mike gets the samples to me I will post about how they are a burnin.

I do hope Mike gets some to Jay for him to test.
Jay's the big "OINK" when it comes to pellets!

LEN

Im so excited to read the positive reviews about Tree Cycle. I'm picking up 4 tons over at Home & Hearth. Thanks guys!

stevie73 said:
Im so excited to read the positive reviews about Tree Cycle. I'm picking up 4 tons over at Home & Hearth. Thanks guys!

See if you could get the ones Mike will be running with the new suppliers They just picked up.
You can call & ask Mike where & when they will be shipped.
Or at least the ones they ran the last few weeks since they started up again.
He is at the PA plant.

That batch I just tried burnt well in my Harman bottom feed stove.
As always.
Pick up a few bags first to see how they burn in your type stove.

Let me know ow you make out.

I still can't seem to get a day nailed down to swap out my pellets. Between the mill being down and now our conflicting schedules, it's not panning out.

Just a note, I talked again with Mike and he is very excited about this latest batch. The ash content is around 5% if I understood him correctly! I can't wait to try these new pellets, I was very happy with the 09/10 version, and he says this new batch is even better! Jay, give him a call when you can....I will PM you.

Jim

Jim H. said:
Just a note, I talked again with Mike and he is very excited about this latest batch. The ash content is around 5% if I understood him correctly! I can't wait to try these new pellets, I was very happy with the 09/10 version, and he says this new batch is even better! Jay, give him a call when you can....I will PM you.

Jim

Where's a good place to buy them?

Jim H. said:
cozy barn in windgap is one place I know of....Mike is starting to sell to other places as well.

Jim, I found a dealer that's going to have a summer buy of TC for $200 a ton. But, they're going to call me back to tell me the sale is on and the price confirmation.

Maybe, we can arrange a group buy and possibly lower the cost more if we buy 20 tons? I'd have to ask the dealer.

poconoman said:
Jim H. said:
cozy barn in windgap is one place I know of....Mike is starting to sell to other places as well.

Jim, I found a dealer that's going to have a summer buy of TC for $200 a ton. But, they're going to call me back to tell me the sale is on and the price confirmation.

Maybe, we can arrange a group buy and possibly lower the cost more if we buy 20 tons? I'd have to ask the dealer.

Do you have an update? Where is this dealer located? I'm in Central NJ and just wondering if it would be close enough to try and get a better deal by getting in for a group buy.

pelletnubi said:
poconoman said:
Jim H. said:

Do you have an update? Where is this dealer located? I'm in Central NJ and just wondering if it would be close enough to try and get a better deal by getting in for a group buy.

I called them a few weeks back and told me that they're expecting shipment and they'll let me know.

It's taking too long. I want to stock up already.

I hope that the pellets only got better in the last few months as I am planning on getting 3 tons. I can get them delivered for 195 each if I buy 3 tons. One or two tons are 225 delivered. The bag looks much different than the one pictured in the TC website so hope it's a new bag and newest batch.

I plan on placing the order this week. I hope I don't make a mistake by buying so much.

Trying to get the pic of the bag uploaded so if anyone has any info about could post.

I can't figure out how to post the pic, but it's in my profile listed as "My Photo" Don't know if you can see it there.

pelletnubi said:
I hope that the pellets only got better in the last few months as I am planning on getting 3 tons. I can get them delivered for 195 each if I buy 3 tons. One or two tons are 225 delivered. The bag looks much different than the one pictured in the TC website so hope it's a new bag and newest batch.

I plan on placing the order this week. I hope I don't make a mistake by buying so much.

I emailed Cozy Barn:
"Are these the reformulated latest batch? You may know that the previous batch wasn't hot enough and too many clickers.

Thank you"

Their reply:
"Yes these are spring 2010 with the 2nd bagging. They are on there 3rd bag now. "

Where are you getting them from?

pelletnubi said:

I hope you don't either. 3 tons of pellets that you've never burned before is taking a BIG chance, especially pellets that were average to below average last season. The experienced pellet burners on this forum always recommend burning at least 2-3 bags before committing to tons of a brand they never used before.

You don't have any other pellets available in your area?

You don't have any other pellets available in your area?[/quote]

The closest place to get pellets is Lowes. They used Greenteam last season which burned pretty good in my stove then switched to a light blue/white bag from I believe N.Carolina, forgot the name, those pellets created more ash then the greenteam. Don't quote me on this but I think that blue/white bag said pellets were made specifically for Lowes.

Lowes started the season at $5 a bag then mid season went to $6/bag. I never checked if they sold by the ton because they only had two pallets in store at a time. I guess not many pellet users here in Middlesex County, NJ.

I figure if TC is just as good as greenteams, but I'm just going by what the test results showed in the last batch, I would be happy as I only use the pellet stove a few hours during the day. I depend mostly on firewood.

I guess I may want to think about just one ton at $225 delivered or try and get someone who would want to split 3 tons.

I was and still am excited what the results showed at the end of last season that is why I have the 3 tons in mind but also the $30 drop per ton.

Status
Not open for further replies.