tree cycle followup

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
BadDad320 said:
After last year most local sellers (NW NJ & NE PA) that I have used in the past have dropped the TreeCycle brand...... Their reputation is shot..... It will take a few years to undo the fiasco of last years batches..... Hope they make a come back with really good product.... One place offered them at $180.00 per ton..... No takers.....

Just picked up 20 sample bags from TreeCycle.
Will put a burn on them over the weekend.
I have just a few bags of those from last year.
Will do a bag burn of each & compare the ash.

I don't know what the fuss is....they burned fine for me...the original 1st batch had the bad clinker problem, but that was a few batches ago....
H Advance, let us know what you think....I thought Jay even thought they were ok?

Jim

Jim H. said:
I don't know what the fuss is....they burned fine for me...the original 1st batch had the bad clinker problem, but that was a few batches ago....
H Advance, let us know what you think....I thought Jay even thought they were ok?

Jim

Yes.
Jay said they were "OK".
A good step forward but more needed to be done.
Mike T is really positive about the advances they have made since they got an OK.

Seems He is trying to move the quality into the top ten.
Which if they burn well they could be a Contender.
They are rated over 8,400 BTU's.
Ash is a bit high .73
However it is the ash consistency & heat/burn quality that matters.

Heck if Mike can put together a pellet up over 8,400BTU consistent & no smoke/ash "issues".
TreeCycle is a local NJ/PA/NY company.
They could out price much competition & we get a cheaper high grade pellet.
A win win situation.

I put the 20 bags in a room at noon.
Had a friend pick up 12 bags at 2:30pm & he is giving 2-bags each to 6-people.
All different stoves.
Hope we get a cold snap so they can test them.

They do have a nice aromatic wood smell.
You have to have some decent wood in there to smell like this.
Lots better than the rotting leaves smell of last winter.

Lots have lost trust "as noted".
A successful "local business" is good for us all here.
Dumping some bucks into our local economy.

Mike made good for those pellets I got by giving me a ton.
I appreciate him being a good business man.

Looking to pick up 1 to 1 1/2 trailer loads for our group if they are on the upper end of the quality chain...

Jim H. said:

Jim

The fuss is they were listed as "Premium", which they clearly weren't. That's the whole problem with PFI and stuff, anyone can put anything on a bag without the products actually being tested (not that that would ever happen anyway). At this point I'm not going to complain unless the pellets Mike gave me a while ago, to replace last years, are crappy too.....BTW...since they burned fine for you, you can go pick-up the 23 bags that I dropped off of the first batch at the plant...I think Mike will give you a super deal on them!!!!!

slvrblkk said:
Jim H. said:

Jim

The fuss is they were listed as "Premium", which they clearly weren't. That's the whole problem with PFI and stuff, anyone can put anything on a bag without the products actually being tested (not that that would ever happen anyway). At this point I'm not going to complain unless the pellets Mike gave me a while ago, to replace last years, are crappy too.....BTW...since they burned fine for you, you can go pick-up the 23 bags that I dropped off of the first batch at the plant...I think Mike will give you a super deal on them!!!!!

Too funny!
What were the dates on the bags?

slvrblkk said:
Jim H. said:

Jim

I think Mike would rather see all the last years issue go away! Every new mill start has had there start up issues. The ones that stand up and correct the issues and refine the product survive. Mike is a survivor and so far he's paid his dues in the "learning curve" game.

I have not burned the latest batch, But from the bird on the wire is he's got a decent pellet at an affordable price. Ash level is well in the Premium standards this year! There are some good pellet dealers selling them this year.

I highly doubt Mike would sell the returned pellets, He will probably toss them and call it a loss.

I brought one ton into the house last weekend (well with the help of my wife) and I noticed the nice aroma and she even commented on the nice smell. I never smelled what the first batch was like but I like the smell of this one.

I just hope we can call TC a good enough pellet at a competitive price. Glad to see there are more tests with different stove on this specific brand. For the amount I use I will see if they will be my first choice again for 2011/12

So far so good for me. The delivery was great and pellets smell great, now waiting for the cold to arrive to ignite them with my new homemade igniter.

Poured a bag into my hopper and the longest pellets I can see is around 1" and did I mention they smell good.

slvrblkk said:
Jim H. said:

Jim

BTW...since they burned fine for you, you can go pick-up the 23 bags that I dropped off of the first batch at the plant...I think Mike will give you a super deal on them!!!!!

You must really have a dislike for TC to keep bashing, at least that is the feeling I'm getting from your posts about them. Mike would never sell the old stuff again as he knows he needs to make a good impression on his new product.

Hope you get to try the new batch and it works out great for you though.

pelletnubi said:
I brought one ton into the house last weekend (well with the help of my wife) and I noticed the nice aroma and she even commented on the nice smell. I never smelled what the first batch was like but I like the smell of this one.

I just hope we can call TC a good enough pellet at a competitive price. Glad to see there are more tests with different stove on this specific brand. For the amount I use I will see if they will be my first choice again for 2011/12

So far so good for me. The delivery was great and pellets smell great, now waiting for the cold to arrive to ignite them with my new homemade igniter.

Poured a bag into my hopper and the longest pellets I can see is around 1" and did I mention they smell good.

Lets us know how they burn for you.
Yup, They do smell good.

Jay is right.
They paid their dues.
So far Mike seems to have put the company on the right track.

"Trust,...But Verify"
Is what we are doing.

However I am a business owner & like to see people make it.
Mike's got that goal of getting to the top tier of the top ten.
If He gets it in the range of top 4-6.
He's got Aces!
And so do we...

j-takeman said:
slvrblkk said:
Jim H. said:

Jim

I think Mike would rather see all the last years issue go away! Every new mill start has had there start up issues. The ones that stand up and correct the issues and refine the product survive. Mike is a survivor and so far he's paid his dues in the "learning curve" game.

I have not burned the latest batch, But from the bird on the wire is he's got a decent pellet at an affordable price. Ash level is well in the Premium standards this year! There are some good pellet dealers selling them this year.

I highly doubt Mike would sell the returned pellets, He will probably toss them and call it a loss.

I think what will help their learning curve problems go away is
proof of good reports on a good burning pellet.
Looking to get 6-10 different opinions in next few weeks here.

When you see a company put out a bad pellet year after year.
While they shell out the promises of good things to come.
It hurts us all.

When you see someone take the bull by the horns as with TC.
And actually "improve their product".
Says alot.

I did hear TC has pulled in some large sellers.

H ADVANCE said:
pelletnubi said:

Yup, They do smell good.

Jay is right.
They paid their dues.

"Trust,...But Verify"
Is what we are doing.

He's got Aces!
And so do we...

I too am a business owner and would like to see this local company provide us with a great product at a great price, a price that is so good that you choose to get one more ton than what you were going to get.

I'm not even part of the TC company and have grown tired of reading the bad of how it was in the first batches. Let's test the new stuff and complain about that if we must but leave the old behind us.

Is it normal for a thread about a pellet company, to go almost a year in posts. I guess if it keeps getting dug up there is interest in the product.

pelletnubi said:
H ADVANCE said:
pelletnubi said:

Yup, They do smell good.

Jay is right.
They paid their dues.

"Trust,...But Verify"
Is what we are doing.

He's got Aces!
And so do we...

I too am a business owner and would like to see this local company provide us with a great product at a great price, a price that is so good that you choose to get one more ton than what you were going to get.

I'm not even part of the TC company and have grown tired of reading the bad of how it was in the first batches. Let's test the new stuff and complain about that if we must but leave the old behind us.

Is it normal for a thread about a pellet company, to go almost a year in posts. I guess if it keeps getting dug up there is interest in the product.

All the buzz may actually be good & necessary.
Cause when you post about TC new burn tests.
Your gonna hear about the hopefully,... "old issues".

Normal is the process of comparing the new against the old.
But it verifies to any reading as to the facts of positive change.
Which can help business.

Many like myself may not want to pull the buy trigger on TC till verification.
Which is what we are doing.

I am not associated with the company either.
But have spoken to Mike about TC's progress & given Him my opinions & advice.
If Mike gets to His goal with His pellets quality & we can verify that.

Another reason I like this company is they are recycling some of their wood products
that otherwise would clearly have no other use & find their way into a landfill.
No other pellet company to my knowledge is doing this.

Just did a preliminary wet test.
Soaked about a cup of the new 7-10 pellets in a container with warm water & slowly agitated the wood out.
I had to try to find some sand/plastic/metal.
Could only find few tiny pieces of what may be either tiny dirt/sand.
Or are small tiny bark/dark wood.
I mean far less than 1/32" in diameter.
Did not see any plastic/foam/rubber pieces at all.
So small I am going to have to do it again to be sure.
Will let you know.

...Kicking them on their way up is uncalled for.

I know they had a bad reputation on here, but I burned them all winter without any major problem. For $250 a ton, put in my garage, I couldn't beat them. I guess I'll be shopping this weekend.

H ADVANCE said:
slvrblkk said:
Jim H. said:

Jim

Too funny!

No dates on the bags I had...When Mike saw the bags I had he said "Holy cow, those are the old ones"

pelletnubi said:
slvrblkk said:
Jim H. said:

Jim

BTW...since they burned fine for you, you can go pick-up the 23 bags that I dropped off of the first batch at the plant...I think Mike will give you a super deal on them!!!!!

You must really have a dislike for TC to keep bashing, at least that is the feeling I'm getting from your posts about them. Mike would never sell the old stuff again as he knows he needs to make a good impression on his new product.

Hope you get to try the new batch and it works out great for you though.

FYI...I WAS kidding about selling of the old stuff!

slvrblkk said:
H ADVANCE said:
slvrblkk said:
Jim H. said:

Jim

Too funny!

No dates on the bags I had...When Mike saw the bags I had he said "Holy cow, those are the old ones"

OK, got it & thanks.

glockshooter said:
I know they had a bad reputation on here, but I burned them all winter without any major problem. For $250 a ton, put in my garage, I couldn't beat them. I guess I'll be shopping this weekend.

You got your hands on some sweet ones then.

Looks like these newest ones should out perform even them.

[/quote]

FYI...I WAS kidding about selling of the old stuff![/quote]

I bought a few tons of the new stuff and it just bugs me to keep reading the bad.

I hope we get good results so we can all benefit. I could have bought the GreenTeam or Clean Energy @ Lowes 1 mile away for just a few bucks more per ton but chose to give TC a chance because of the end results in the final batch that was processed.

It also helped my choice that the price included delivery with a power pallet jack which I didn't have to open up the pallet to unload and it's a local company trying to make it. I almost considered GreenTeam but don't have a jack at home and I would have to unload all 3 tons bag by bag.

smwilliamson said:
I was over to Long Pond yesterday and was watching them burn in a little Empress. Looked good, was putting out decent heat, we'll see how the ash works out after Steve cleans it out.

I cleaned out the stove this morning - good heat and relatively low ash , only minor issue was a small klinker.

Attachments

• treecycle ash comparison.jpg
    treecycle ash comparison.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 194
pelletdude said:
smwilliamson said:
I was over to Long Pond yesterday and was watching them burn in a little Empress. Looked good, was putting out decent heat, we'll see how the ash works out after Steve cleans it out.

I cleaned out the stove this morning - good heat and relatively low ash , only minor issue was a small klinker.

PD,

From left to right what are the brands? I am guessing TC, is left. Middle is Somerset's and right would be Okies??

slvrblkk said:
Jim H. said:

Jim

Hey hold on big fella, LOL I did say the very 1st batch had the clinker problem. They did burn pretty hot though....the latest batches have been a big improvement. I think you posted that Tim did indeed take good care of your concerns, yes? I was trying to put the mis info to rest. Burn well my friends! LOL

Jim

Jim H. said:
slvrblkk said:
Jim H. said:

Jim

Burn well my friends!

Jim

That's too funny!!!! Hopefully I can fire the stove up this weekend as it's ready to go....if the weather cooperates......I really can't wait to try them as I do feel they should be fine this time around....I don't think Mike would have given me something not up to par....

Steve

pelletdude said:
smwilliamson said:

How would you figure out the percentage of the ash amount you collected? I'm guessing that the left is the ash from one 40lb bag burn.

Status
Not open for further replies.