tree cycle followup

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
pelletnubi said:
pelletdude said:
smwilliamson said:
I was over to Long Pond yesterday and was watching them burn in a little Empress. Looked good, was putting out decent heat, we'll see how the ash works out after Steve cleans it out.

I cleaned out the stove this morning - good heat and relatively low ash , only minor issue was a small klinker.

How would you figure out the percentage of the ash amount you collected? I'm guessing that the left is the ash from one 40lb bag burn.

A 40lb bag of pellet has 640 ounces. weight the ash in ounces and then divide ash amount by 640

example

6 divide by 640= 0.009375 or .9375%

6 ounces of ash would be .9375%

j-takeman said:
pelletnubi said:
pelletdude said:
smwilliamson said:
I was over to Long Pond yesterday and was watching them burn in a little Empress. Looked good, was putting out decent heat, we'll see how the ash works out after Steve cleans it out.

I cleaned out the stove this morning - good heat and relatively low ash , only minor issue was a small klinker.

How would you figure out the percentage of the ash amount you collected? I'm guessing that the left is the ash from one 40lb bag burn.

A 40lb bag of pellet has 640 ounces. weight the ash in ounces and then divide ash amount by 640

example

Thanks J. So volume of ashes has no effect on percentage just weight?

Pellet dude: Being this is the first test of TC can you post some numbers. Was the heat also tested on this burn?

pelletnubi said:
j-takeman said:
pelletnubi said:
pelletdude said:
smwilliamson said:

example

Pellet dude: Being this is the first test of TC can you post some numbers. Was the heat also tested on this burn?

Jay was correct TC left, then Somerset and finally Okanagan. Heat with my magnet thermometer, 330 deg for TC, 360 for Somerset. The ash was almost double of Somerset. So, the specs on ash fromTC said .6 % ash. That seems accurate to my burn. I know I am not as accurate as some of you testers, but my burn tests are accurate with collection, temp and sweeping every time.

pelletnubi said:
j-takeman said:
pelletnubi said:
pelletdude said:
smwilliamson said:

example

Volume isn't used in finding percentage. We show the volume so you can see how fast the ash pan would fill on you. Thats about all the volime can do for us!

pelletdude said:
pelletnubi said:
j-takeman said:
pelletnubi said:
pelletdude said:
smwilliamson" date="1284056339 said:

example

Jay was correct TC left, then Somerset and finally Okanagan. Heat with my magnet thermometer, 330 deg for TC, 360 for Somerset. The ash was almost double of Somerset. So, the specs on ash fromTC said .6 % ash. That seems accurate to my burn. I know I am not as accurate as some of you testers, but my burn tests are accurate with collection, temp and sweeping every time.

Thanks pelletdude

I'm still new to all the pellet brands but it seems that .6 is pretty good but the 30 degree difference will probably not be good enough for some.

If they were all tested the same way what was the temps and ash levels of all three?

Thanks

[quote author="j-takeman" date="1284093272[/quote]

Pellet dude: Being this is the first test of TC can you post some numbers. Was the heat also tested on this burn?[/quote]

Volume isn't used in finding percentage. We show the volume so you can see how fast the ash pan would fill on you. Thats about all the volime can do for us![/quote]

Thanks again for another lesson learned. I figure if I don't ask I will never know.

I keep deleting the wrong section of the quotes and it gets like this. Still readable.

IMHO - for a pellet that I retail for $219.00 ( right now) Pretty good deal! I have sold pellets for more $ that don't perform as well.

pelletdude said:
pelletnubi said:
j-takeman said:
pelletnubi said:
pelletdude said:

example

.6% is very close to a Super Premium. Not shabby at all for a lower priced pellet.

Folks I got the idea from pelletdude to use the mason jars to show ash volume. He did it here first(I am a confessed copycat)! I trust his testing as much as I do mine! Thanks pelletdude for showing us how the new TC are doing. Way to hot to burn in my house to test them! :)

j-takeman said:
pelletdude said:
pelletnubi said:
j-takeman said:
pelletnubi said:
pelletdude" date="1284080281 said:

example

.6% is very close to a Super Premium. Not shabby at all for a lower priced pellet.

Folks I got the idea from pelletdude to use the mason jars to show ash volume. He did it here first(I am a confessed copycat)! I trust his testing as much as I do mine! Thanks pelletdude for showing us how the new TC are doing. Way to hot to burn in my house to test them! :)

Jay, I am burning this years batch of Somersets today and tonight. When I left the shop it was 92 deg in there.

Burning the TC TreeCycle Pellets 7-10's for last 4-hours.
I am running them in a prior to 2004 Harman Advance Pellet Stove.

Normally I run it on "Full Automatic Room Temp", Which means it will adjust flame as need be & Shut off & Restart if need be. With the fan on mid to high & temp set to 76-78F.

I am running it now on "Manual Room Temp" Which means it will adjust flame as need be & If the room reaches the desired temp. It will Remain on Minimal & Not Shut Off. With the fan on minimal & temp set to 80-83F.

FLAME:

Have to say they are Hot.
From the ignition of the pellets. Flame was a bright steady mainly white with tinge of yellow flame.
It burns very bright & well on minimal setting.
Very Nice.
The old-burned poorly-mainly green/orange in color on minimal setting.

There is so minimal of the old issue of the funky colored flame.
I had to really try to find it.
Only once in awhile do I see a slight super lightly tinged color of the "Orange/Green" funky color.
Have to say it is next to nothing.
Most would probably never know even if they looked for it.

Regarding Flame...
I am VERY OK with this.
Since a portion of TreeCycle Pellets are from a source that IMO-Makes them
an even "Greener Product" than most pellets out there.
So if there is any tiny slight discoloration from time to time.
I could guess about .25-1% of the time.
Or a slightly different wood smell to the pellets...
It is more than worth it.

The "old pellets" looked so bright orange/green that it was near a neon color
& smelled at times like rotten leaves.

ASH:

The old ones I had to run on 4 1/4 to 5 to get the flame to burn hot enough & to push the brick of coral like consistency Ash that made a noise when it hit the ash pan & either broke up into smaller hard pieces or at times nearly stayed in one piece.
BTW-I am running them at 3 1/4 now. Flame very high & licks the accordion style heat exchanger at top much of the time.
Very Nice.

The Ash from these 7-10's is great.
No huge pieces so far & when some larger ones do drop. No noise & they totally break up.
The ash is mainly a mix of mid to darker gray. With some minor very light colored gray to white light ash mixed in.
On the edge of the burn plate. The ash is not compacted. It has an airy appearance & falls off the edge in mainly in small pieces.

If you own a Harman Bottom Feed then you will know what this next info. means...
The right & left outer edges of the burn pot sometimes has issues of ash not being able to drop off the edge of burn pot too easily. Or it overhangs pretty far on poor pellets before the two edges ash drops off.

This is not the case with these TC's.
As usual larger pieces do accumulate on the outer edges of the Harman bottom feed burn pot.
But they easily break apart & fall regularly off the edge.
Very Nice.

BTW-Ramped up the flame from minimal. Ramped up very well & pushed the ash easily off the edge of the burn pot along the entire edge.
Very Nice.

TEMPERATURES:

I will not be doing any temp tests.
I do not think Temperature Tests are controlled enough to trust.
At least any that I could do...

Since as the pellets feed thru the Auger.
The flame goes higher & increases Temp enough to not trust my testing or timing.
Since there is no real way to time the burn.

Sometimes it feeds & flame goes up & then it stops feeding & the flame goes even higher.
So timing it in-between the feeds is not accurate.
Same with the flame.
Sometimes it moves to right/center/left.
So no real consistent area to measure.

I guess if I could get "ALL" the exiting air from the blower into one pipe.
But too much trouble to do.
BTW-They are Hot.

SO FAR:

Very pleased with these 7-10 dated pellets.
Mike T has done a great job of getting this product regulated.
Thumbs up!
:)

NOTES:

Will post what the 6-10 others say about them when they run them.
Need to find out how to properly measure Ash weight.
Any variations on the burn of the remainder of this bag will be posted.

j-takeman said:
pelletnubi said:
Thanks again for another lesson learned. I figure if I don't ask I will never know.

We are all here to learn. Glad I could explain it for you!

Jay,

Got a problem:
Dont know how to properly measure ash weight as well as consistency.
Could you help me out please.
You could put the lab coat on with the pocket protector for effect if you like Sir.

Should I brush the entire inside of stove into the Ash pan or just pull it out?

Am concerned about "Volume".
When you "mix/disturb" Ash greatly it decreases the volume & changes the consistency.
Should I just pour it in a glass jar?
I dont have a Mason Jar...
:bug:

I'm taking your post as really good news. I'm waiting to get colder here to fire it up for a few hours but still not cold enough. I got the itch.

For temperature readings, I'm going to run a meat probe thermometer @ the heat exchanger for a few weeks using TC. When I get a good spot with a steady consistent temp reading using TC I'll go and get a couple bags of the other brands and see what temps they produce using the same method. I'll sweep all the ash into the pan and pull down the T-Cap to empty that as well.

I can't wait to watch these burn in my Whitfield Profile 20.

H Advance, night write up! Great results also.....I have close to 2 tons of the same batch.....got at the end of the season. I also have some lignetics left over that have been buried since trying all the new TC batches.....so Mike did a good job it seems......good job mike! LOL

Jim

pelletnubi said:
I'm taking your post as really good news. I'm waiting to get colder here to fire it up for a few hours but still not cold enough. I got the itch.

For temperature readings, I'm going to run a meat probe thermometer @ the heat exchanger for a few weeks using TC. When I get a good spot with a steady consistent temp reading using TC I'll go and get a couple bags of the other brands and see what temps they produce using the same method. I'll sweep all the ash into the pan and pull down the T-Cap to empty that as well.

I can't wait to watch these burn in my Whitfield Profile 20.

Mike is putting out a fine pellet in my book.
It is a completely different pellet from last seasons.
Burns very well in the bottom feed Harman.
Will be looking to compare directly with others in months to come.

I am going ahead with the trailer load purchase.
We have 2-more people interested from the person that has distributed the sample bags.
Plus another. One of my old Employees Dad is wanting 3-4 ton.
I think we are about set for the first trailer.

H ADVANCE said:
j-takeman said:
pelletnubi said:

Jay,

Got a problem:
You could put the lab coat on with the pocket protector for effect if you like Sir.

When you "mix/disturb" Ash greatly it decreases the volume & changes the consistency.

Yes, I then swept under the ash pan for any that missed it. I also swept the fan area too. Collect everything you can. Do the same for any pellet you test to be fair!

I used a mason jar, But any jar will do as long as it will hold all the volume. Maybe a mayo jar? I like the mason jars because of there graduated markings. I did worry about consistency but once you weigh it. You will see the difference. Check the results for the Michigan pellets I burned. There consistency was very light and fluffy. Almost filled the whole jar but weight less than some with a 5/8 to 3/4 full jar. I just poured it in, But you could settle it with tapping lightly on the jar. just tap each pellet sample the same amount as best as possible. No tapping worked for me. Just be consistent with all of the samples you do!

Happy testing! :)

TreeCycle Update:

FLAME:

Let it burn on minimal for few hours.
Ramped up few times.
Ramps up well.

Flame is still Hot & bright.

ASH:

Ramped up few times after minimal feed for few hours.
Ash has not congealed at all into non or hard to move larger pieces.
Ash pushes off the end of burn pot well along the entire edge of the burn pot.

NOTES:
I "may" be throwing another bag in.
This way I get to test it running on minimal all day till evening hours when it will ramp up.
A good test for ash & slag formation being that it will get over a days full burn.

I do not think this will affect the weight of ash.
Since I just have to divide total Ash weight by two.

However, They burn so good I dont want to waste a bag.

Waiting to see how they burn in other brand stoves.
Please post any findings if anyone is burning in other stoves...

j-takeman said:
H ADVANCE said:
j-takeman said:
pelletnubi said:

Jay,

Got a problem:

Yes, I then swept under the ash pan for any that missed it. I also swept the fan area too. Collect everything you can. Do the same for any pellet you test to be fair!

I used a mason jar, But any jar will do as long as it will hold all the volume. Maybe a mayo jar? I like the mason jars because of there graduated markings. I did worry about consistency but once you weigh it. You will see the difference. Check the results for the Michigan pellets I burned. There consistency was very light and fluffy. Almost filled the whole jar but weight less than some with a 5/8 to 3/4 full jar. I just poured it in, But you could settle it with tapping lightly on the jar. just tap each pellet sample the same amount as best as possible. No tapping worked for me. Just be consistent with all of the samples you do!

Yes,
Testing a decent pellet does make you happy!

I still have over a ton of mainly Natures Heat & Currans to dump/cut 50/50 with these new TC's.
The first bunch of Currans I bought burnt OK.
However the rest of them were not too good.
Cant wait to get rid of them both.
Guess I should not complain.
Thats why I bought the Harman bottom feed. It will burn poor grade pellets.
I picked up over 2-ton of the Natures Heat someone else could not burn for 1.87 per bag.
I could burn them without mixing 50/50 however it does put strain on the stove.
Right now though I dont want to be bothered mixing.
Would rather just burn the new TC's.

I cleaned & blew out the entire stove with air prior to testing.
Cleaned the fan blades too & even the ash pan exterior & interior.

Questions:
1-Should I clean the baffles too?
2-Can I burn 2-bags then just divide the ash weight by two?
One problem I see with this is...I will have to burn 2-bags of every other pellet I test to be consistent in testing.
3-Till I lowered the feed to 3-3 1/4.
A few pieces of burning pellets dropped off the edge of the burn pot.
Should I sift these out?

Thanks for your reply & help.
I have a renewed appreciation for what You go thru for us here.
To test pellets properly is very time consuming.
Not simple as just throwing a bag in!

Now if only I could get my hands on a Mason Jar!

H ADVANCE said:
j-takeman said:
[

Yes,

I still have over a ton of mainly Natures Heat & Currans to dump/cut 50/50 with these new TC's.
I picked up over 2-ton of the Natures Heat someone else could not burn for 1.87 per bag.

Questions:
One problem I see with this is...I will have to burn 2-bags of every other pellet I test to be consistent in testing.
Should I sift these out?

1.)The best way is clean everything and catch everything. Try not to miss any ash. If you didn't clean the baffles now some ash may fall into the next batch and through that batch off.

2.) Yes should be Ok to do that.

3.) Yes I always sifted out the unburned pellet.

Mixing the not so good stuff with a better pellet helps to burn them. Thats one thing I don't need to do with my Omega. I have not found a pellet this thing can't burn. Not counting water damaged pellets!

Yes, its much more work than some realize. Brushing down the whole stove to collect the ash is much harder and takes longer than whipping out the ash vac!

Thanks for taking the time to test these pellets for us, I appreciate the work you are doing. I hope I can help where I can. Have fun fellow tester!

j-takeman said:
H ADVANCE said:
j-takeman said:
[

Yes,

Questions:
Should I sift these out?

1.)The best way is clean everything and catch everything. Try not to miss any ash. If you didn't clean the baffles now some ash may fall into the next batch and through that batch off.

2.) Yes should be Ok to do that.

3.) Yes I always sifted out the unburned pellet.

Mixing the not so good stuff with a better pellet helps to burn them. Thats one thing I don't need to do with my Omega. I have not found a pellet this thing can't burn. Not counting water damaged pellets!

Yes, its much more work than some realize. Brushing down the whole stove to collect the ash is much harder and takes longer than whipping out the ash vac!

Thanks for taking the time to test these pellets for us, I appreciate the work you are doing. I hope I can help where I can. Have fun fellow tester!

Got it Jay,
Thanks!

Will make sure I clean it thoroughly.
Did not burn the second bag.
The first burnt so well I saw no need.
Also, Dont like the idea of having to burn two bags of every other pellet I test.
Reason is the second bag goes into a "Hot Stove". Rather than ramping a stove up from room temp.

Have to work most the weekend so will clean out the stove by monday at the latest & post what I find.
I have a 75lb digital postal scale.
Think that's accurate enough?

I did very seriously look into the Omega so am Jealous here ;-P .
Like the efficiency/design.
Its on the "back burner" of possible things.

May be away off. Since for me it is not as easy as just replacing a stove.

There is an air duct statically attached to the Advance to blow the hot air into the other side of the shop.
Have a water pre-heater hooked up to it & will increase the size of it this winter.
Making an easily removable 2-sided hopper that holds 6-8 bags...& as a side benefit it
will help eliminate any mixing pellets issues.
The particular design of the Harman Advance also fits & works well in my limited space situation.

Can go long periods not cleaning the Advance.
Are you able to "set it & forget it" with the Omega?

H ADVANCE said:
Can go long periods not cleaning the Advance.
Are you able to "set it & forget it" with the Omega?

Yes, I go all week, Sunday to Sunday. It could go far far longer but I just keep myself on a routine.

Just have to keep the hopper full or the house gets cold! :grrr:

Hi Everyone...I know that this thread has gone on forever but I MUST put my two cents in. I live near this plant. I know the plant manager Mike Z and the owner Bob Taggart. Bob Taggart is out to make money any way he can. I don't know what Mike is telling you folks when you call up--he may be nice as pie to get you suckered in---but the man behind him is a sheister and everyone in town knows it. Bob has a plant in Glen Gardner NJ that people can take stumps (known carcinogen), old lumber (again they don't care if it's pressure treated or not ie carcinogens), pallets and whatever else people want to "recycle". They don't use premium anything that's why the pellets are crap and don't meet the industry standards to even be called premium. They don't have to pay for quality lumber that's the reason why they are so cheap.

The plant itself is so poorly run that they are in violation of the local noise ordanances as well as failed the DEP stack tests. They are polluting the air that we all breathe. They constantly emit brown smoke from their stacks and wood fibers/debris can be found on everyone's cars, driveways, pools, roofs, etc... You can see the stuff drifting in the air. Even residents that live a mile away get the foul odors that inflame asthma conditions and irritate people's eyes. One gentlemen even said that he can no longer enjoy his garden because the smoke makes his eyes so irritated they burn and swell. My neighbors young asthmatic child asked his mother recently if he could play outside with the other kids IF HE HELD HIS BREATH. Bob Taggart knows these things and when you try to address them he screams (literally screams and swears). But worst of all---he knows he is in violation and is ruining peoples quality of life and health and keeps running, keeps advertising and doesn't fix the problems!

The reason that they are so cheap is because they are crap---just do a little research and you'll see for yourself. The latest news is that since the pellets aren't fit for heating human dwellings (hello--the fumes contain known carcinogens) they've stricken a deal with a kitty litter company to use their crap for felines to crap on!!!! I know that money is tight out there and heating our homes is getting harder and harder---but please don't use these things. Your health and the health of your family is worth the extra money spend on truly quality premium pellets not Treecyle's recycled garbage!

Status
Not open for further replies.