Tree down on my trail . Wood ID anyone

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tony H

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Oct 24, 2007
N Illinois
Collecting the last of the leaves and taking them down the trail to the far back of the property to compost pile and about 1/2 way back ran into a tree down. Lucky we started a small backup compost area that was just this side of the tree so I could still dump the leaves.
Will have to clear this one before winter so I can get back to dump ashes and will have a bit more wood to process.
The tree was about 60' and was standing dead the last year or two.
Here is some proof it happened and a few close shots so you can take a shot on the type wood we have here.

well got the top of the tree cut up and can now pass thru the trail , should try and get the rest out before we get too much snow

Attachments

• PB070004.jpg
    PB070004.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 627
  • PB070003.jpg
    PB070003.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 632
  • PB070005.jpg
    PB070005.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 635
  • PB070007.jpg
    PB070007.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 634
  • PB070008.jpg
    PB070008.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 639
  • PB070009.jpg
    PB070009.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 624
Here are a few more pics of the wood , didn't know I out in the leaf hauler but there it is and it holds a ton of leaves.
Well here we go.

The big still standing tree is the same type as the down one and its about 5' across at the base , hope it stays up for a bunch more years but I wonder what amount of wood I would have if it fell. I have a couple more about the same size they look to be about 80-100 feet tall.

Attachments

• PB070002.jpg
    PB070002.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 599
  • PB070010.jpg
    PB070010.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 608
  • PB070011.jpg
    PB070011.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 605
  • PB070014.jpg
    PB070014.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 597
  • PB070015.jpg
    PB070015.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 611
  • PB070001.jpg
    PB070001.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 590
Also looks like elm to me. Was the bark falling off in complete sheets?

argelesplage said:
Probably Quercus macrocarpa...bur oak, sometimes called mossycup oak. A very midwestern tree that puts out a lot of heat.

Iam with you to look at the tree standing I would say oak as well!

I've never seen any elm grow like that tree. It is shaped more like an oak than an elm.

Backwoods Savage said:
I've never seen any elm grow like that tree. It is shaped more like an oak than an elm.

yep that will make you wish for a bigger gas can! lol

Don't think it's Elm but just to check I took and split two pieces with my trusty maul and first one took one blow second one took two blows no stringy innards.
I would say it is certainly not Elm.
The bark did come off in big sheets.
I also have a smaller tree it knocked over that I need help with an ID .
Will post a few more pics in a bit.

Here are a few more shots .
First one is wood #1 first with 2 splits of wood 1 and a whole log next to it then 2 pieces of elm above them
The second shot is a close up of wood #1

The other three are shots of wood #2 , as I split a piece open I realized I think I know what it is but just to confirm lets play ID this wood

Attachments

• P1010001 ELM.jpg
    P1010001 ELM.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 460
  • P1010002 Wood 1.jpg
    P1010002 Wood 1.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 455
  • P1010003 Little tree.jpg
    P1010003 Little tree.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 458
  • P1010004 Little tree bark.jpg
    P1010004 Little tree bark.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 462
  • P1010005 Little tree split.jpg
    P1010005 Little tree split.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 462
I'd say Bur Oak also. Even though it was dead I'd still give it a couple years to season.

wendell said:
I'd say Bur Oak also. Even though it was dead I'd still give it a couple years to season.

Just for fun checked it with the moisture meter and the larger logs in the photo came in at 30 + and these were cut from whast would have been at 35 - 40 feet up in the tree !
Even took some readings on 3" and smaller logs and still reading 25% mol only a few that looked as dried out as can be read less than 20%

argelesplage said:
Probably Quercus macrocarpa...bur oak, sometimes called mossycup oak. A very midwestern tree that puts out a lot of heat.

I think we have a winner and Bur oak it is and when it's seasoned should do a nice job keeping us warm.

No takers on the second tree yet looking for some confirmation on my best guess .

Attachments

• 4 wheeler with 4wheel trailer.jpg
    4 wheeler with 4wheel trailer.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 424
Bur oak, last pictures are choke cherry.

After I split some of wood #2 and compared it to a bunch of honey locust I was thinking that's what it was. Now I am not so sure I have some cherry I can compare it to. Seems like it was growing too tall with no branches up to at least 20' but only about 12" or 16" round at the base to get me thinking cherry. Did not smell it or light it to check the Oder.

wood #2 looks like cherry branches or even plum tree

I will have to look a little closer when I go to cut the rest I never noticed any cherry out there before.
The tree was still small and these were off the trunk about 20+ feet from the base.

Tony H said:
First one is wood #1 first with 2 splits of wood 1 and a whole log next to it then 2 pieces of elm above them

The other three are shots of wood #2 , as I split a piece open I realized I think I know what it is but just to confirm lets play ID this wood
I think that you have several types of wood here. In these pics I see Walnut, which splits easy and the bark falls off, in the other photos you have Cherry. The first set of photos look like Elm or maybe even Sassafras and the big standing tree has the characteristic's usually seen on Oaks.

webby3650 said:
Tony H said:

I think that you have several types of wood here. In these pics I see Walnut, which splits easy and the bark falls off, in the other photos you have Cherry. The first set of photos look like Elm or maybe even Sassafras and the big standing tree has the characteristic's usually seen on Oaks.

The wood is all from 2 trees the bigger tree Bur oak I think and the cherry.The dead tree looks to be the same as the large standing tree thats why I included the photo. I think the bark falls off because the ants get in there and going on it if it stands dead for long.
With the splitting the 2 rounds were pretty small and I have hand split a fair amount of wood and at 6' 230lb the maul comes around pretty fast.

Status
Not open for further replies.