Tree dump scrounge - need help with tree ID

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

schlot

Minister of Fire
Nov 21, 2011
Iowa
Stumbled across a nice scrounge at the local tree dump. Came across about 3 truck loads of nicely limbed tree limbs around 8' to 10' in length.

Some were an old silver maple, but the other tree is what I need help with. I'm thinking it's Aspen. What do you guys think?

20130406_095024.jpeg20130406_095015.jpeg20130406_095008.jpeg

I believe Rory maybe onto it.

Reactions: Shane N
Looks more like cottonwood or poplar to me... but it may be aspen. They are all grouped in the genus Populous. The green smooth bark turning to cracked furrowed bark, and a green-yellowish wood are typical of them all. They are closely related to willows. They stink like cat pee when burned. Low heat value. Often free here, I made the mistake of taking some cottonwood logs that fell in a storm here 2 years ago. Not worth it!

Reactions: ScotO
Well I took a truck load but probably will pass on the rest. I need some shoulder wood and if it turns out to be willow it will remind me of my first year of burning cottonwood. Ah memories!

Cottonwood is my guess
Gotten cottonwood is OK, but I don't go out of my way to get it ;)

That's definately NOT willow. Looks like poplar to me, which ain't the best wood out there but better than willow......
Good shoulder fire wood, and it'd be ready to use by fall if you get it split now.

Thanks guys, maybe I will snag some more if it's popular. Although free, I wasn't going to if it was willow....I don't need any help stinking up the place.

Uh, I hate to burst your bubble, but poplar and cottonwood stinks more than willow does. <>

Well then I can handle that....burnt a lot of cottonwood a few years ago. The whole "cat piss" thing had me worried.

Looks like the scrounge ot bigger - looks like some ash? I can have next to the tree dump20130407_101000.jpg

I began doubting whether the above tree was an ash or a slippery elm so I moved on to a couple mulberry's...at least I hope they are.

20130407_114407.jpeg20130407_114415.jpeg

Reactions: ScotO and Thistle
Original post is Bigtooth Aspen, my friend! Grows fast, often the first tree to settle open areas.
Your post above me is mulberry.

I began doubting whether the above tree was an ash or a slippery elm so I moved on to a couple mulberry's...at least I hope they are.

View attachment 98958View attachment 98959

Absolutely Mulberry.

Going to Hardees for a quick bite an hour ago,a small pickup in front of me with open tailgate & about 2 wheelbarrow loads of smaller green Mulberry turned into a steep driveway on main road.Going up hill,they had the stuff all stacked loosely on tailgate & 3-4 rolled out in the street,barely got stopped in time.I was about to run & grab them but the driver finally woke up,got out & picked them up.

I sure hope they operate their chainsaw better than securing their load.

Absolutely Mulberry.

Going to Hardees for a quick bite an hour ago,a small pickup in front of me with open tailgate & about 2 wheelbarrow loads of smaller green Mulberry turned into a steep driveway on main road.Going up hill,they had the stuff all stacked loosely on tailgate & 3-4 rolled out in the street,barely got stopped in time.I was about to run & grab them but the driver finally woke up,got out & picked them up.

I sure hope they operate their chainsaw better than securing their load.

Wood delivery to your truck...now thats service!

The picture of the tree on its side is an ash isn't it?

Thanks - looks like some of the elm I took - just couldn't quite tell - still a newb at this

I put up the mulberry I brought back and mixed it with some other mulberry I put up in December. Interesting to see the color difference between them.
20130408_193541.jpeg

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Status
Not open for further replies.