Tree felling on a tree tee-pee? How to salvage a wind blown tree.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bogydave

Minister of Fire
Dec 4, 2009
So Cent ALASKA
Sounds like a math class word/logic problem.
I'd like to salvage tree #1 (wind blown), it's stuck in top of tree #3. Tree #2 (dead spruce) is also stuck in the top of tree # 3 & almost touching tree #4 down low.
If I fall tree #3, it hits tree #4 which hits tree #5. (where to run??)
May need to take tree 5 then tree 4 before figuring out what to do with 1,2 & 3.
Any suggestions? (helicopter is not an option)
3treetp-1.jpg

This looks like a tough one to me. White Birch #2 is leaning toward White Spruce #1, and #2 seems to be holding the weight, right? I wouldn't know how to cut #2 since i couldn't guess how it will fall/break. I definitely would clear the place where #1 is going to fall to avoid another hangup, but i don't know where that place is. Soetimes I have cut the base of the first tree #1, but only if I am very confident that I know what #1 will do if I cut it. Here I guess it would drop straight down, but a guess isn't enough for me to start cutting. If #1 is free at the bottom, maybe you can pull it away from the tee pee with a long cable.

Looks ugly to me - because there's no where to run and hung trees all around.

Looks like you can drop # 1 without getting into 4&5.

I just did one like this:

Keep in mind - I have no experience. You don't want to cut the tree they are hung on - because both trees could come down on you.

Tree # 1, I would make a cut about chest high on the trunk half way thru and then back cut it. The tree will be unpredictable, so be very careful. As it starts to give - back out and make some distance. The main trunk should drop straight down as long as it's not got any side pressure working. The hung part of the tree will stand up more, and perhaps it will roll and drop, falling back toward the trunk (your direction) or continue on the way it's leaning. So you have to get some distance from it. Repeat this on the other 2 hung trees.

The tree I did like this was a big locust. I made cuts like this 3 times (stepping my way up the trunk toward the hung part). Eventually the hung part rolled and came down. As it would start to give - I would move 90 degrees from it. Make sure my path is clear getting distance.

How would an expert do it? With a bucket truck or rope it down? I don't know. Can you put a long rope to it and pull it free with a truck? So you can cut it on the ground?

Trees like this is dangerous - and so is the method I described. I am NOT recommending it. Just putting it out there as how I did it and I am hoping someone will post a correct and safer method.

I would look for other trees to cut and let mother nature work these down. This looks messy to me.

#1 tree is where I would start. I would rope it frist and by pulling and cutting off a section of the butt end. (not at the same time)
There is a lot going on there dont put your self in the soup.

Option 1: Leave the trees there and hope and pray you get some high winds in the next day or two.

Barring that . . .

Option 2: Carefully start cutting off the butt end of tree #1 . . . one bucked length of stove wood at a time until the tree eventually falls down. Repeat with other trees . . . what I would not do is start cutting any trees while standing underneath any of the other leaners.

Do you have access to any heavy equipment or cabling?
I think i'd try to perhaps get a cable up there, and see if you could #1 off the other trees and drop it. (Tough to tell from the pics)
Might only need to get #1 a few feet over to the left to have it come down, but again, its tough to tell...be safe...when in doubt, leave up up and wait for the next storm.

PS...Probably not recommended....could you put a 1/3rd to 1/2 cut on the side of each tree (opposide the side in which they are leaning) and maybe wait for the big windstorm? (Just seems like too many hangers to get it done safely)

Good luck, and stay safe

First, it is not the same in pictures as being right there on the spot. It could be tricky but not overly so.

This time though I am bowing out. I know exactly what I would do and do not think it would be difficult. However, for the benefit of those with less experience I simply am not going to say how I would do it except to say that Jake is pretty close. The good thing is that those trees are not that big except for the one which could be pretty heavy, but that can be a big plus.

option 1: cut down trees #1-#10 starting with tree #10
option 2: have a ginormous bonfire and call it a day

Backwoods Savage said:
First, it is not the same in pictures as being right there on the spot. It could be tricky but not overly so.

This time though I am bowing out. I know exactly what I would do and do not think it would be difficult. However, for the benefit of those with less experience I simply am not going to say how I would do it except to say that Jake is pretty close. The good thing is that those trees are not that big except for the one which could be pretty heavy, but that can be a big plus.

rigging is worth its weight 5:1 two technique's is better than one.

if you decide to start cutting, I'd go with 4 and 5 first, since they are merely near the problem not yet part of it. Then, if I was to continue, I'd cut #1. I don't think I'd touch 2 and 3 since they have weight on them and will be under unusual stresses which will make them behave in unusual ways.

I'd go with Jake's option #2 with a little of smokinjay's plan too . Work slowly and closely watch every movement as you go. Have a clear escape route. That's the way the books tell you to do it. That should work on most of them. Don't tell your insurance company we had anything to do with it. :)

Flatbedford said:
I'd go with Jake's option #2 with a little of smokinjay's plan too . Work slowly and closely watch every movement as you go. Have a clear escape route. That's the way the books tell you to do it. That should work on most of them. Don't tell your insurance company we had anything to do with it. :)

lol We have the same book the rigging section is awesome....

back up the dodge, about 100 feet from tree 1
hook a chain, no kinetic energy never a cable, will cut you in half
to trunk at bottom put in 4 low and drag it right off
cut up on ground

Backwoods Savage said:

+1

quads said:
Backwoods Savage said:

+1

ok what gives both of you have posted on this a few weeks ago.

smokinjay said:
quads said:
Backwoods Savage said:

+1

I posted a documentary about me doing it myself. But, I wouldn't want to tell anybody else how to do it. I might feel bad if he hurt some of that good firewood!

quads said:
sm said:
quads said:
Backwoods Savage said:

+1

I posted a documentary about me doing it myself. But, I wouldn't want to tell anybody else how to do it. I might feel bad if he hurt some of that good firewood!

lol you and backwoods both have a great take down "text book if you will" better that you show the right way to do it. Only thing I would add to it is a long rope just in case.

Thanks for the feedback. Hoping for a big wind may work but it would
have to come from a "not normal" direction to work since they brace each other for normal wind direction.
When spring gets here, swamp again.
Few more pics.

Attachments

• 100_4258.jpg
    100_4258.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 247
  • 100_4259.jpg
    100_4259.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 253
  • 100_4260.jpg
    100_4260.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 257
  • 100_4262.jpg
    100_4262.jpg
    154 KB · Views: 264
like asked earlier do you have access to any heavy equipment and rigging?

I'd attach a rope to tree #3 around about where the red 3 is (or even higher if you dare) and then notch it at the base and try to pull it to the left out from tree #1.
Hard to tell from the pic but it may already have some pressure in that direction.

smokinjay said:
quads said:
Backwoods Savage said:

+1

Jay, what we've commented on before was really simple take-downs. While it is true quads or myself would take those down in a short time with little problem, it would not do to try to explain in text. Also, this one is a bit more complex and can be very scary for those with not much experience and I would not want someone to get hurt by trying something that could cause harm if not done right.

Backwoods Savage said:
sm said:
quads said:
Backwoods Savage said:

+1

Jay, what we've commented on before was really simple take-downs. While it is true quads or myself would take those down in a short time with little problem, it would not do to try to explain in text. Also, this one is a bit more complex and can be very scary for those with not much experience and I would not want someone to get hurt by trying something that could cause harm if not done right.

but on the other hand if they do it any way may be better to tell the safer approach

Status
Not open for further replies.