Tree I.D Please.....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NordicSplitter

Minister of Fire
May 22, 2011
Western,NY
Last year I got a nice log load of Pine. The Yellow, White and Red Pine were easy to Identify. This one is tough....Any help would be great...EXTREMELY TOUGH TO SPLIT!!!!!! IMG_0039.JPG IMG_0036.JPG IMG_0037.JPG IMG_0038.JPG

I thought I identified all of the Red Pine because the ones I split open( not shown in pics) were bright orange/reddish inside. Unless that is something else. These are so tough to split with a maul ax and wide wedges...I think I'm getting the chainsaw out and cutting them in half and then splitting them. Unlike anything I every split. Tougher than Elm, Oak and Iron Wood..:)

SCots Pine, I think. Scots Pine has brown bark similar to a White Pine near the bottom of the trunk, but the upper trunk has reddish bark.

Reactions: Pennsyltucky Chris
Scotch pine.

Well that's that! Cut all those rounds in half and then split them once. Put them off to the side. Next season I will use them for all-nighters. Amazingly, Scotch Pine has a higher BTU Rating than some maple, cherry and mostly all of Birch. Who would have thought....:)

Status
Not open for further replies.