tree i.d.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mikepinto65

Minister of Fire
Nov 5, 2008
Webster, MA
Thinking about taking it down this weekend.....thanks

Attachments

• treeid1.jpg
    treeid1.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 404
  • treeid2.jpg
    treeid2.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 434
  • treeid3.jpg
    treeid3.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 404
here a ruff one my guess maple?

I'll guess maple too. More specifically sugar maple based on the way that large branch extends out from the trunk.

More of a WAG...not too committed to it.

Drop the tree and lets see some pics of the grain in the round and split.

Its coming down out of a lot with a lot of Aspen (same lot as my beaver clean up thread), no chance its that I hope?

mikepinto65 said:
Its coming down out of a lot with a lot of Aspen (same lot as my beaver clean up thread), no chance its that I hope?
Pretty sure it AIN'T Aspen.

Looks like an old maple tree to me, too.
Is that a grape vine or some of that nasty bittersweet growing up it ?

I'm thinking elm

Wow I thought for sure you guys would have it figured out within 30 min of me posting! I cant get out to fell it until at least sunday....maybe someone will know sooner!

billb3 said:
Looks like an old maple tree to me, too.
Is that a grape vine or some of that nasty bittersweet growing up it ?

Its wild grape vine. Bittersweet is MUCH thinner (at least the stuff I deal with is) and really entangles the tree pulling it towards the ground.

Mikepinto- its tough just seeing parts of the tree in weird lighting. There are shadows.

SPLIT IT

I think the tree is a maple, and my guess is Sugar Maple. The vine is Asiatic Bittersweet. Grapes have peely bark. In the second picture you can see the open branching structure of the vine, which grape never has, and is typical of bittersweet.

I see the red maple and raise it some poison ivy!

well you lose the raise, we will have to see about the red maple....

I'm going to say Sugar Maple based off picture number 3. A young branch from the crown will be a dead ringer on ID.
I'd like to see all the folks loving the Fiskars waste the afternoon beating on a few rounds of that old nasty tree.
I've had some bittersweet I've cut at the base of trees bigger than my wrist, nasty stuff.
That tree will need xtra careful attention when felling.

WoodButcher

mikepinto65 said:
well you lose the raise, we will have to see about the red maple....
The second picture looked like a vine growing up the side... I was thinking it was of the hairy variety. I guess my eyes aren't as good as they used to be!

I think it is sugar maple. my whole street is lined with them that big or maybe a little bigger. although they are being covered in snow this morn and i can't do a direct comparison to the bark.

Status
Not open for further replies.