Tree I.D.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thewoodlands

Minister of Fire
Aug 25, 2009
In The Woods
Let's see who will guess correct first.

zap

Attachments

• 100_1099.jpg
    100_1099.jpg
    155.5 KB · Views: 291
Sweet Gum

Basswood and not fair never seen one in real life...lol Hey did you take advantage of that file I sent you?

I would have guessed White Oak except I know you don't have any oak. Basswood is kinda rare here, so I am not familiar with the bark.

Bark looks different than the Basswood at parents acreage.What's the diameter of tree in pic?

Need more pictures.

deciduous
or maybe evergreen

hard to tell but certainly one or the other

Give me a pic of the bud. Even better if you have a seed pod.

Doesn't look like Tilia bark to me, but Tilias have a real distinct way to spread their seeds.

Matt

It does look like Basswood. If you cut a 15" block, plck it up, it's weigh lighter than you'd figure compared to hard maple or even ash. Burns like crap. A great filler wood for guys selling "seasoned" hardwood. Leave it in the bush.

Status
Not open for further replies.