Tree ID #2

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ampamp

Oct 31, 2010
Buffalo - Rochester
Here's the last of the pics.....Thanks for the IDs!

Attachments

• Tree 5.jpg
    Tree 5.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 171
  • Tree 6.jpg
    Tree 6.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 166
Here's the last of the pics.....Thanks for the IDs!
The one on the right looks like some kind of hickory, but the bark also resembles poplar IMHO. One on the left sure looks alot like red oak.......give it a sniff, red oak has a 'vinegary' smell. That'll say for sure. Hopefully the one on the right turns out to be hickory, good stuff if it is....

Left: some one of the red oaks for sure. Right: well not sure bout that. Kinda looks like some sotrt of hickory maybe, from the upper part of the tree as the bark looks "young". But that's a shot in the dark cause I can't tell for sure from the picture.==c

Shag bark.

The one on the right looks like some kind of hickory, but the bark also resembles poplar IMHO. One on the left sure looks alot like red oak.......give it a sniff, red oak has a 'vinegary' smell. That'll say for sure. Hopefully the one on the right turns out to be hickory, good stuff if it is....
You read my mind. I was going to state that the 'red oak' pic has a smell to it. Very noticeable and like vinegar....so I would agree.
The other pic I feel is hickory of some type as well. I burned some pignut hickory a few yrs ago and it was great. I expected to see the shagbark version when I showed up to cut it....so this one throws me off generally. I like it though....Fairly long burn.
Thanks for the help with the ID. I'm glad folks like to look at stuff like this.......like I do!

Reactions: ScotO
hmmm....

left - looks like black birch
right - shagbark hickory

I think the first is Red Oak, the second Juneberry. The Red Oak is easily identified as an oak, and the only question in my mind is Red versus Black - who cares from a firewood point of view.

The second picture seems to be a smallish tree and the bark is just like the Shadblow/serviceberry/juneberries around here. There are a lot of species of Juneberry, but all Juneberies as big as the one in the picture are, I think, Amelanchier arborea. Juneberry is in the apple family. I think the wood will be very good firewood.

Status
Not open for further replies.