Tree ID (Again)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mulkick

Oct 8, 2008
north IL
I picked up a few logs in my neighborhood the other day and was wondering what type of trees I have.
They both had small type leaves similar to a locust, but I don't have the leaves anymore.
You can see the yellow green wood on the one log. From info I gathered on this site I would guess its a honey locust.
I have no clue what the dark wood log is, Any guesses?
They both split nice when I hit them with a 6lb maul. Just pop apart.

Thanks

Attachments

• DSC_0002 1.jpg
    DSC_0002 1.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 635
  • DSC_0004 1.jpg
    DSC_0004 1.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 633
Looks like Cherry to me

thats not cherry, my best guess would be locust

We don't have the tree on the right in these parts but the one on the left looks like it might be Elm.

Does it have a very strong scent to it.? Almost like a mint smell. With those colors, the deep furrowed bark, and small leaves I would say it is black birch, although it very closely resembles locust too.

fwiw, the locust we have around here doesn't have any distinct color difference between the heart and sap wood like this does. the growth rings on the sapwood looks like the locust we have though

Keep in mind that the trees were likely taken down because they were diseased. Diseased trees will often have discolouration that healthy trees do not. Diseased trees also often have an off smell to them.

I didn't notice a strong smell to them, but I can't smell very well. ( My girlfriend says I stink) :)
These were taken down 'cause the city is putting in drainage ditches.
I cut and split them yesterday and was stacking them today. The dark wood was very sappy on the ends, but the yellow wasn't.

Thanks for the input.

Black walnut on left, black locust on right. More pictures would make it easier. Sure on the locust.

I here black locust burns nice, does black walnut burn well?

Attachments

• DSC_0003 11.jpg
    DSC_0003 11.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 548
  • DSC_0005 11.jpg
    DSC_0005 11.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 553
Black locust is premium firewood. Only 2nd to ash in green moisture content and in the top 5 or 6 of BTU's. One of the heaviest seasoned woods. Only looses around 20% of it weight in moisture.
I have a stack of black walnut for this year. I understand it is a medium hard wood. Not bad not great.
I like the smell when splitting, but I am a carpenter, and tend to like the smell of fresh wood.
The locust smokes stinks unfortunately. Life is a compromise.

Once burned twice shy said:
We don't get Black Walnut here either but if that's what's in the pic, that resembles the wood on the left and I'll take back my Elm ID.

LLigetfa said:
We don't get Black Walnut here either but if that's what's in the pic, that resembles the wood on the left and I'll take back my Elm ID.
black walnut burns well, but I'm not so sure that's what you've got. color doesn't seem smooth enough, if that makes sense.

The split is what makes me a believer in Black walnut. Coloring with these camera's is never great. Look at the branch in the split. The bark is very dark, but could be wet.

It is wet, rained all night.

It is wet, rained all night.
black walnut has a pretty distinct smell when you split it, too.

Danno77 said:
LLigetfa said:
black walnut burns well, but I'm not so sure that's what you've got. color doesn't seem smooth enough, if that makes sense.

I'd have to agree, B. Walnut usually has a much more uniform color, darker too.

nonapologeticaLEE said:
Black locust for sure.
And i think Sassafrass ,although the bark isn't as thick as the Sass around here.
Locust sounds right to me, I dunno a thing about Sassafrass.

how often are you gonna change your name anyway???? lol this could go on forever, I'm busyLEE looking in a dictionary right now with suffix of -ly and it's unlikeLEE that you'll run out of names, so I'll quietLEE and regrettabLEE drop the topic.

I agree with the one on the right as being Black Locust, but the one on the left doesn't look like any of the Black Walnut we have around here. Ours has a thinner bark and is very brown inside. Look at the sappy rim around the cutside of the one on the left-looks more like a fruitwood with that sap by the bark. Black Walnut doesn't have red sap like that. Some sort of Cherry perhaps.....

nonapologeticaLEE said:
Black locust for sure.
And i think Sassafrass ,although the bark isn't as thick as the Sass around here.
X2 For sure!

I have nearly a cord of black walnut in the shed. The darker split looks just like it. I'm planning on using it for the shoulder season.

webby3650 said:
nonapologeticaLEE said:
Black locust for sure.
X2 For sure!

x3 200% as for locust!

The one looks just like a bunch of Locust I just split with the darker inner section. I have seen some also that looked more like the yellow one that was a different type of locust.

Tony H said:
The one looks just like a bunch of Locust I just split with the darker inner section. I have seen some also that looked more like the yellow one that was a different type of locust.

Honey locust. I burn bunch of it!

Status
Not open for further replies.