Tree ID app for iPhone

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
muncybob said:

Me too, almost.

From the article..

"There's just one catch for her — a demonstration video shows a girl plucking a leaf off a tree to take a snapshot with the app. That's a violation of "leave no trace" principals for outdoor stewardship and illegal in many parks, including national parks, Greene said.

"You know, one or two leaves may be not such a big deal, but if it's a popular, highly used app, I would think it could eventually cause some issues," she said."

We've got what, 350M people here? How many have Iphones? How many leaves do we have? Heck, I think I rake 350M oak leaves in my yard alone each year.

Although a very intriguing app, It's called LEAFSNAP. Would be great for standing live/dead trees. We scroungers need BARK&GRAINSNAP;. Their usually isn't a leaf.

It would be interesting to take several pictures of a tree plus a few leaves and then also some splits. A database of this would certainly be handy but it should be in a database that can be read with desktops and laptops and not phones.

Status
Not open for further replies.