Tree ID by Leaf

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

basswidow

Minister of Fire
Oct 17, 2008
Milton GA
In Northern New Jersey.

Bark smooth and silver.

Long trunk - most leafs at the top of the tree. It's a big tree - trunk is alittle bigger than a 5 gal bucket and maybe 70 feet long (tall tree).

I was thinking big tooth Aspen....eastern cottonwood (bark is not right). I know it's not birch because of the bark and the size of the tree. I hope it's a beech but doubt it. I may need to go back and look for beech nut pods. Any other ID's? If it's a beech - that's a jackpot.

Attachments

• 101_0453.jpg
    101_0453.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 405
In response to your other thread, that ain't beech. Sorry dude.

Sorry is right. The more I search - I am convinced it's big tooth aspen. A pulp wood which is soft and poor quality for firewood. I appreciate the suggestion of beech - as now I will be on the lookout for it.

basswidow said:
Sorry is right. The more I search - I am convinced it's big tooth aspen. A pulp wood which is soft and poor quality for firewood. I appreciate the suggestion of beech - as now I will be on the lookout for it.

Hurricane Irene tore one off at the base on my property, snapped that Aspen like a match stick.
It was good sized one.... and easy to get. Poor quality but free!
Hurricane Irene downed 5 trees on my property 1 Aspen, 1 ash, 1 cherry and 2 red maples.

WoodButcher

That's Aspen alright

Attachments

• aspen.jpg
    aspen.jpg
    152.2 KB · Views: 369
WOODBUTCHER said:
basswidow said:

Hurricane Irene tore one off at the base on my property, snapped that Aspen like a match stick.
It was good sized one.... and easy to get. Poor quality but free!
Hurricane Irene downed 5 trees on my property 1 Aspen, 1 ash, 1 cherry and 2 red maples.

WoodButcher

That's Aspen alright

I thought he said his bark was smooth? Might it be something other than Aspen or Beech?

Big tooth Aspen

Those leaves are Bigtooth Aspen. Younger trees and the upper half of older trees tend to have smooth bark. Older trees tend to have rough bark on the lower half. Maybe the bark Basswidow saw was on the upper part of the tree.

Aspen . . . not beech.

The bark is smooth - which is curious since the leaf is a match - but not the bark.

It's in this guys back yard and it's not going anywhere -(no one else knows about it). So I will focus on the good wood and then clear this for him later, just to stay in his good graces.

Thanks for the ID's

basswidow said:
The bark is smooth - which is curious since the leaf is a match - but not the bark.

It's in this guys back yard and it's not going anywhere -(no one else knows about it). So I will focus on the good wood and then clear this for him later, just to stay in his good graces.

Thanks for the ID's

basswidow, we are burning aspen this year for the shoulder season, which is turning out pretty good. We should have enough to get us in to the beginning of November.

Zap

Thanks Zap,

you bet - If I cut it, I'm gonna burn it. It will be next years shoulder wood. Good to know it'll heat. I burn some tree of heaven in shoulder season. I'm sure it's about the same.

basswidow said:
Thanks Zap,

you bet - If I cut it, I'm gonna burn it. It will be next years shoulder wood. Good to know it'll heat. I burn some tree of heaven in shoulder season. I'm sure it's about the same.

tree of heaven, I have never heard that before so did a seach, chinese sumac or stinking shumac (spelling came off this site).

http://www.nps.gov/plants/alien/fact/aial1.htm

zap

On a really good day, I could load the GW with Aspen, have time for one swig of belgian white or 15yo GlenLivet, B4 having to gather up another load of Apen to feed the beast. Aspen is great firewood, other than:

Has like no BTUs, and
Leaves incredible amounts of ash, and
still wears you out at the end of the day.

ISeeDeadBTUs said:
On a really good day, I could load the GW with Aspen, have time for one swig of belgian white or 15yo GlenLivet, B4 having to gather up another load of Apen to feed the beast. Aspen is great firewood, other than:

Has like no BTUs, and
Leaves incredible amounts of ash, and
still wears you out at the end of the day.

2-3 hour burn times in the Liberty, not great but it's saving our better wood. We can run two small fires and the house is good for the night.

zap

I like aspen in shoulder season. Burns clean with little smoke to mess up my glass in a relatively cool stove. Not a long burner but I don't need a long burn this time of year. Almost all woods are good if you learn how and when to use them.

basswidow said:

Thanks for the ID's

I've seen both beech and poplar with smooth bark . . . although generally as beech ages it tends to get pock-marks (looks like acne) and aspen as it ages get less smooth with the bark . . . but I've seen older species of both that are relatively pock-mark free and/or smooth bark despite their age.

As for the aspen . . . still grab it . . . it's perfect for burning this time of year . . . lets you conserve the good stuff for later on in the year.

Status
Not open for further replies.