Tree ID - crazy wind lastnight took down trees

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rygar

Burning Hunk
Sep 23, 2013
a friend had this tree knocked down.
12742555_10153924540841530_7858309254185777522_n.jpg

can you anyone ID and tell me what it is. want to see if its worth it

Looks worth it to me, just because it's easy pickings.

Reactions: Wickets
Tough to tell from that photo. It looks like it had been dead or dying for awhile. Possibly ash. It would be easier to identify with a twig and closer picture of the bark. Look at the arrangement of buds/twigs and see if they are alternate or opposite. Then look if there are any buds that would help you ID it. It looks like there may be an oak close by. I see a branch still holding leaves hanging over the down tree.

I'm thinking a white oak, the bark looks like white oak, and one other tall tale sign, the dead branch - it has no bark, looks like it has been dead for over a couple years, yet it didn't break when the tree fell.

X2

I'd take it just for the wood. The hard part is done, it's on the ground. Cut it up, split, dry it, burn it.
If the hard part is putting them on the ground I would be happy to come put trees on the ground for you and you can come buck, split, & stack all my wood :)

IMHO, putting them down is easy in most cases. On solid trees (not hollow, not rotten, not dead & dry) where a good hinge will hold putting them right where you want is a piece of cake...

Looks like FREE. EASY, Firewood to me.

Looks like a processors dream; already down. You could zip that into rounds in no time, and if you have a spiltter and some help, you're in bidness.

It looks like it could be Ass or Oak. Hard to tell from that distance. Could you post better pics?

Even if it's soft maple, you got a nice stack for next year.

Congrats and get cracking.

Reactions: D8Chumley
Looks like a jackpot.

If it is solid it's good cut split stack, I say. Plus if your buddy helps it's a win win.

Status
Not open for further replies.