Tree ID Help Please

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all, I found a local scrounge but the wood is unfamiliar to me. Could this be ash? The tree resides in north central Maryland in Carroll County if that helps. These are the only pics I have since the owner emailed them to me. Any other advise about the tree would be helpful. Thanks!

Attachments

• 0904120937.jpg
    0904120937.jpg
    210 KB · Views: 119
  • 0904120938.jpg
    0904120938.jpg
    155.7 KB · Views: 125
I was thinking it might be White Ash but I could be wrong. Nice find whatever it turns out to be! I'd go for it!

Reactions: ScotO
pretty sure that's white ash, a great firewood tree! Great score!

Ash......

Ash.

Thanks for all the replies guys! Seems like we might have some (White) Ash here? I have read many good words about ash on this site so I am excited to finally get a chance to work with it. The bark looks very similar to red oak to me in the pictures and hopefully this ash cuts and splits just as easy. :) Maybe I can dip the saw into a little tonight if the weather holds off; I don't want to tear up their lawn driving the truck/trailer back but perhaps I could tip-toe back on foot and cut some up in the wet stuff? Hey Senatormofo, you are not too far away, I woudn't be surprised if we cross paths someday scrounging. Thanks again for the clarification, the wood ID sites on the web only give you so much info but the real experience here is awesome! I am still a newbie but a willing learner. ;)

Quite the load in your avatar!

Thanks for all the replies guys! Seems like we might have some (White) Ash here? I have read many good words about ash on this site so I am excited to finally get a chance to work with it. The bark looks very similar to red oak to me in the pictures and hopefully this ash cuts and splits just as easy. :) Maybe I can dip the saw into a little tonight if the weather holds off; I don't want to tear up their lawn driving the truck/trailer back but perhaps I could tip-toe back on foot and cut some up in the wet stuff? Hey Senatormofo, you are not too far away, I woudn't be surprised if we cross paths someday scrounging. Thanks again for the clarification, the wood ID sites on the web only give you so much info but the real experience here is awesome! I am still a newbie but a willing learner. ;)

Unless it is a tree that has grown out in the open it should split easier than the oak for sure. Splitting with the hydraulic splitter we usually have to put the wedge in only a couple inches and it is split. That is sweet. One year, due to an injury, I hand split a whole bunch of white ash and did it all while sitting down. Used a sledge and wedge and just tapped the sledge onto the wedge as hitting hard would have about killed me with pain. Got the job done though.

Unless it is a tree that has grown out in the open it should split easier than the oak for sure. Splitting with the hydraulic splitter we usually have to put the wedge in only a couple inches and it is split. That is sweet. One year, due to an injury, I hand split a whole bunch of white ash and did it all while sitting down. Used a sledge and wedge and just tapped the sledge onto the wedge as hitting hard would have about killed me with pain. Got the job done though.

Thanks for the insight about what will hopefully be some easier splitting wood. This tree is on the edge of a lawn/woods and actually fell into the lawn so it was really easy to cut up; spent a little time tonight and have all the canopy cut up and will work on the trunk tomorrow night. It appears a little knotty and not pencil straight but I am hoping the grain will be straight enough to make her easy to split. The saw slices through it fairly quickly so I like working with it so far. :cool: Maybe I will try to split a few manually and see how it pops, I know what you mean on certain types of wood (chestnut oak for me) split as soon as the wedge touches it and sure speeds up the splits versus the hickory which wasn't too tuff but the stringy stuff required you to run the wedge all the way through the wood and our splitter has a slow cycle time (never realized it before).

Status
Not open for further replies.