Tree ID help (thought I'd never have to do this, but here I am)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CountryBoy19

Minister of Fire
Jul 29, 2010
Southern IN
Ok, since my haunted wood thread isn't getting much I figured I'd start another thread on the ID of that wood.

I thought it was black walnut with a funky looking bark, but it's not. The bark looks like persimmon, but the wood is too light/white to be persimmon.

It's white all the way through with thick, dark brown bark that sometimes stains the wood where the chain goes through.

Splits are slightly stringy, but not bad; it splits moderately easy. Splits easier than oak, harder than black walnut.

What is it?

Somebody has to know this, the bark is very distinct.

ETA, here is a pic of Persimmon bark, the bark looks just like it, but the wood is white all the way through, no distinction between heartwood and sapwood.

IMG_0547.jpg

Do you have a pic of the wood split? Looks like a pear tree we have on our Property,but lets see the meat!

RAMSAY said:
Do you have a pic of the wood split? Looks like a pear tree we have on our Property,but lets see the meat!
No, I hate taking pics and uploading them... It looks almost like black locust (thick, rough bark) except the wood is pure light colored wood. You have to look carefully just to see the growth rings.

I don't think it's a pear because there are a lot of them there and no fruit that I could see.

If it helps any, the branches were alternate from what I could tell.

I didn't think it was pear,It just looked similar? How about Persimmon?

CountryBoy19 said:
Ok, since my haunted wood thread isn't getting much I figured I'd start another thread on the ID of that wood.

I thought it was black walnut with a funky looking bark, but it's not. The bark looks like persimmon, but the wood is too light/white to be persimmon.

It's white all the way through with thick, dark brown bark that sometimes stains the wood where the chain goes through.

Splits are slightly stringy, but not bad; it splits moderately easy. Splits easier than oak, harder than black walnut.

What is it?

How big is it? (DBH) If it's 10" or less, I'd vote "dogwood" on the minimal evidence so far.

Does the grain look like this??? If yes It's DOG WOOD!

Attachments

• floweringDogwood.jpg
    floweringDogwood.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 644
CTYank said:
CountryBoy19 said:

What is it?

How big is it? (DBH) If it's 10" or less, I'd vote "dogwood" on the minimal evidence so far.

Yup, less than 10", and I would have to say that yes, it's likely dogwood. Hmm... 24.3 MBtu/cord... I'd say I didn't do too bad then... there are a couple more there, maybe I should get those too...

This would be a flowering dogwood (if it is a dogwood) and the branches and structure of the tree would be distinctive. The branches, at least some of them, would hav large flower buds that stick up on the branch tips. It sounds like a minor feature, but is distinctive and you can see it from very far away. It is how we recognize a flowering dogwood, I think. At this time of the year there should have been a few red berries on the tree as well, but it is possible those were all eaten by birds beofre you got there.

Like others said if it is a smaller tree then the bark looks like a flowering dogwood. Take all you can get, keep it in rounds if it small, let it dry for a while and you have some primo, long burning fuel there, one of my favs.

I thought dogwood too until you said the branching was alternate. Remember MADBUCK? Maple, ash, dogwood, and buckeyes are opposite branching. Sorry that I don't have a good answer. Although I burned some crab apple today that had similar bark.

Definitely not dogwood if leaves are alternate and wood is white. Wood has more of a salmon pink color like RAMSAY's photo. The only other tree I can think of that has "blocky" bark like persimmon and dogwood is sourwood Oxydendrum arboreum. Quick search said it was in S. Indiana. I have never seen it split though, so can't comment on the wood color. The flowers are on racemes that completely fall off. You should be able to find them on the ground. The leaf looks similar to a Paw paw. The leaf is thin fleshed (think opposite a magnolia leaf).

You can send me a cord of your Osage to make room for this mystery wood (smiley w/ wink).

Edit:
Link to Sourwood bark.

http://www.forestryimages.org/browse/detail.cfm?imgnum=2151021

This reminds me that Chestnut and Chinquapin Oak have a similar deep furrowed bark, but usually doesn't get too blocky. I don't think I've ever seen Chestnut or Chinq Oak split either, so....no idea what the wood looks like. Get some twigs and tell us what the leaf scars and bud scales are like.

I was thinking black gum, but not sure if you find it where you are. Cheers! Edit - oops, thought you were in TX, you definitely get black gum.

+1 on the Black Gum. The branches are usually at 90 degrees to the trunk of the tree and are usually found in wetlands or previously disturbed areas. Black Gum are usually one of the first trees to change color in the fall and have vibrant colors.

Any chance of getting a pic of the actual wood in question? We are all trying to figure what kind of tree it is by looking at a pic of persimmon bark. Dogwood, black gum, chestnut oak and several other species have blocky looking bark. We never will know without a pic of the actual wood! Maybe I am a total tree nerd but I love these wood I'd threads!

I always get to these tree ID questions late

My first thought when I saw the bark picture was Black gum,

post a good picture of a twig with buds if you really want to know for sure

FLINT said:
I always get to these tree ID questions late

My first thought when I saw the bark picture was Black gum,

post a good picture of a twig with buds if you really want to know for sure

Cut wood is a possibility if I get time. I'm pretty busy, been working extra hours and I'm getting ready to go on a 4 day hunting trip this weekend so I'm not sure if I'll have time to put pics up.

Twig and bud is not very likely at all. This wood was cut 14 miles from home and I didn't plan on going back to get anymore. I pretty much cleaned the place out of Hedge and Locust, and these trees were just taken down to help out the landowner, and I had a little room on the truck so I threw them on.

Status
Not open for further replies.