Tree ID Help!!!!!!!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hiram Maxim

Minister of Fire
Nov 25, 2007
SE Michigan
So My buddy has a ton off this wood. (The large rounds)

Very wet,whitish yellow, easy splitting with the 35 ton splitter......did I mention very wet?

What is this stuff? Elm?

I can take more pictures if needed

Cheers Hiram :cheese:

121wp3b.jpg

2r56xj6.jpg

does it have a smell to it?

Archer39 said:

I would say its a bit on the stinky side........... :blank:

Hiram Maxim said:
Archer39 said:

sounds like oak,
if its stringy when you split it elm... but that looks more like white/ prolly red oak

iceman said:
Hiram Maxim said:
Archer39 said:

sounds like oak,
if its stringy when you split it elm... but that looks more like white/ prolly red oak

It doesn't have the dense fibers like red oak. There is a ton of White oak in the pile its just that we got to some stuff that just seems different. It splits like Oak (real clean) but it seems maybe a little softer..........Gosh darn it just don't know. :roll: Its crazy wet like bottom of the trunk wet.

Me thinks poplar due to the stringy cambuim at lower right of picture.I c/s/s about 4 cords of it over the past 3 weeks and the bark and heartwood are nearly identical to yours. Mine was also soaking wet and stinky as it was fresh cut.Split like butter,actually faster to split with the maul than to mess around with the hyd. splitter as my rounds were fairly large.Good shoulder/lighting wood.

Yeah, thats tulip poplar. Its heavy now when wet, but it will dry very light.

I'm surprised nobody guessed ash yet.

Flint, I might be wrong but I doubt that Hiram has any tulip poplar around his area.

I think that could be Bigtooth Aspen. The bark looks right, and the small branches underneath the large rounds certainly look like aspen. I don't think the bark or the wood looks quite right for Tulip. Aspen is often wet when freshly cut, and has a stink to it.

Backwoods Savage said:
Flint, I might be wrong but I doubt that Hiram has any tulip poplar around his area.

Really? I bet they have tulip poplar in southeast michigan

however, if its something like Aspen, I wouldn't know anything about that as that is not common enough around here for me to be familiar with - although we do have cottonwood - which is a poplar like aspen - and the bark is very similar to that now that I think about it. so, I could go for a true poplar as well.

oh yeah, and poplar doesnt smell bad - and the wood often has a little greenish tinge - ok, I'll take back my tulip poplar guess :)

I found this on a google search of cottonwood.......It looks pretty close to it?

reducedToLogs3.jpg

Bigtooth Aspen - or poplar - does smell bad. One of the more objectionable wood smells, in my opinion.

Looks like every Tulip Poplar I have ever cut on this place. And that is a bunch of them. Heavy and wet green and floats off the stacks when dry. I actually like burning the stuff when it is good and dry.

Edit:

"Many millions of years ago when the earth's climate was warmer, the
tulip tree and at least 15 close relatives were widely distributed over the
northern hemisphere as far as what we call the Arctic Zone. Today,
except for a similar species in central China, it is found only in southern
Ontario and the eastern third of the United States from the Gulf coast to
Rhode Island and southern Michigan."

Status
Not open for further replies.