Tree ID help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ampamp

Oct 31, 2010
Buffalo - Rochester
Wish the pics were better, but hopefully there's enough detail. Any idea on this. I don't think it's ash, but I have been known to get basswood, green ash...etc mixed up. Let me know what you think. Thanks.

Normally I know exactly what I'm cutting, but came across this and wasn't positive.

Attachments

• 0419122008_01.jpg
    0419122008_01.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 177
  • 0419122009_01.jpg
    0419122009_01.jpg
    124.1 KB · Views: 165
  • 0419122009a_01.jpg
    0419122009a_01.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 157
Bark looks like ash, but the face of the splits doesn't show the vertical grain of ash very well. Cheers!

The bark looks like ash. The grain kinda looks maple-ish. Dunno.

I believe it is Ash. I have Ash and Basswood in my woodlot. The Basswood/Linden bark has a redish/orange hue underneath. You can tell for sure by the grain. It there ar pithy layers similar to Oak (but no radial rays) it is Ash. Very fine grain with almost no variations between layers and very light when dry is Basswood.

I leave Basswood in the woods unless someone is carvin' decoys or some such thing.

ATB,
Mike

That center picture is what throws this off. Could be an ash that has been dead for some time and starting to turn to punk but does also look somewhat like bass. Dunno.

Norway Maple

Well if you stupmed this crowd screw it just burn it with other hardwoods and enjoy.

That center picture is what throws this off. Could be an ash that has been dead for some time and starting to turn to punk but does also look somewhat like bass. Dunno.
Yeah, could be punky Ash but that bark looks pretty tight still, and doesn't quite look like Ash bark I've seen, White Ash anyway...

Poplar. or Ash. Does that help? What is the smell like when it is freshly split? Poplar is real sweet smelling. Look for purplish streaks, that is a giveaway for Poplar around here. Could leave a split indoors for a month and see how light it gets. Ash will stay heavy, Poplar not so much.

Middle picture right side is wavy, aka curly,I think nrford is right again.
Good eye! Didn't see that he posted; I would have considered it "case closed." ;lol

Status
Not open for further replies.