Tree ID in Fla? Now W/pics!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RandyG

Dec 22, 2010
Central Fla
Hello all, my father in law has an abundance of these trees on his property and we do not know what they are. I am curious because he is giving me all the firewood I need and I want to know what I am putting in my Fireview, Btu's, ext. It seems to be in the hardwood family and if fairly easy to split.We know its not hickory because he had some hickory trees at his last place and these do not resemble them. Thanks for any input. :)

Attachments

• IMAG0056.jpg
    IMAG0056.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 340
  • IMAG0057.jpg
    IMAG0057.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 356
  • IMAG0058.jpg
    IMAG0058.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 346
  • IMAG0060.jpg
    IMAG0060.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 347
Post some pictures. Ideally we'd like to see leaves, bark on the trunk, a branch with twigs, some split wood, and the end of a cut piece, and the overall tree if you have pics . Any or all of those are helpful. There are lots of species of trees in Florida.

Sorry, I have a pic of tree but forgot to post can't now but will ASAP, thanks.

Randy, any tree that has leaf and that leaf falls in the fall of the year is technically a hardwood. However, most of us tend to be a bit more picky when describing hard and soft woods. For example, hard maple or soft maple?

Sorry Randy but I have to ask, how much wood do you burn and how many months out of the year? :)

Thanks Dennis I didn't know that. As far as burning goes unfortunately I can only burn Nov-Feb, maybe a little more with a cold winter. A couple times a week, seldom all day burns. It depends on how long the cold spell lasts. This winter its only come in spurts. >:-(

Im thinking cherry, or black cherry as the last guy said. At first i thought water oak, then looked at the grain, that course grain and flaky bark (classic cherry). The pictures are really terrible. I could positively tell with a closer shot of the bark of the main trunk as well as the top branches. Buds are also a positive ID.

But id guess cherry if i had to put my answer on the line. Im a forester as well.

Honey Locust. I'm thinking that is a thorn cluster in that one photo. No way is that Black Cherry. End grain in that one photo says oak or honey locust to me!

The pics are terrible, so it really could be a few things. Your right on that end split tree, dosent look so much like cherry and that bark is not right on that size split for cherry i dont think. But these are "sasquatch" photos as i call them. You can see anything you want to in them. Without clearer pics it could be several species. From Locust to cherry to hackberry to an oak?

I think the picture of the whole standing tree shows a Red Maple. I think the pile of splits are Black Cherry. I am not sure about the other two pictures, but they could be more Red Maple and Black Cherry. Both are good firewood, somewhere in the middle of the pack as far as BTUs per cord.

Sorry about the pic quality guys, took them with my phone. I'll try to get better pics up this afternoon, thanks...

I can't agree with the black cherry but am not certain what it is. Will wait for the other pictures.

Status
Not open for further replies.