Tree ID (leaf pictures)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bwhunter85

Feeling the Heat
Aug 21, 2010
Sunfield, MI
Curious what tree this is. have two growing in the front yard.

Thanks!

Attachments

• tre.jpg
    tre.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 418
  • tre1.jpg
    tre1.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 357
May be some type of Ash. Got some bark pics, trunk and then a little further up?

Well to me they look like a shagbark Hickory tree leaf. Do you see any nuts on the trees? If so then it could be need to see the bark to that would be helpful.

I will get a picture of the bark, in spring it has these little green pods, almost look like little green fuzzy worms hanging off the leaves.

When looking closely at the first picture, I see fairly big flowers in the tree. Therefore not ash or hickory.

We need more revealing pics of branches, bark, overall tree form/silhouette, etc.
Also, was that picture taken in springtime (flowers)?

Stab in the dark but I'll say cherry

ohio woodburner said:
Stab in the dark but I'll say cherry
Hmmmm, yeah, leaves look pretty dark green...but doesn't have the green worms hanging down, as described.

I think what we see in the first photo is really only part of a leaf. I think I see several leaflets along a stem, indicating this tree has compound leaves like an ash or hickory. I can't see enough of the branch to know if the leaves are opposite or alternate along the branch (leaflets are almost always opposite along a leaf stem, so that does't tell me anything about the ID). We need better pics showing a branch with several complete compound leaves (each leaf consists of several leaflets and a stem), perhaps a shot of the bark nd an overall shot of the tree. Look to see if there are fruit or flowers anywhere - pics of them sould be very helpful.

Based on way too little information I will guess an ash, perhaps some sort of hybrid bred for use as an ornamental tree. My guess is based mostly on the dark green color of the leaves.

Wood Duck said:
Look to see if there are fruit or flowers anywhere - pics of them sould be very helpful.

Based on way too little information I will guess an ash, perhaps some sort of hybrid bred for use as an ornamental tree. My guess is based mostly on the dark green color of the leaves.
A Pignut Hickory would have the type of "green worm" flowers he describes. I think quite a few trees have those, but I don't think Ash does...
As an aside, I was thinking about yard trees vs. forest trees; Could the same tree have narrower leaves if it wasn't competing for light, but wider leaves if it was in the woods fighting for light?

If it's what I think it is the green fuzzies are probably catkins (pollen type things) common to nut trees and the tree is a carpathian or english walnut. I have one in my back yard and I live in Dowling not far from you.

It looks like some type of hickory. Could be shagbark. Maybe water hickory?

Status
Not open for further replies.