Tree ID Maybe Oak

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tony H

Minister of Fire
Oct 24, 2007
N Illinois
Got some of this stuff very heavy splits easy grain High MC looks like some type of oak I think but does not look like the two I have Burr and Pin or is it something else

Attachments

• PC050009.jpg
    PC050009.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 213
  • PC050011.jpg
    PC050011.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 218
  • PC050012.jpg
    PC050012.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 220
Tony H said:
Got some of this stuff very heavy splits easy grain High MC looks like some type of oak I think but does not look like the two I have Burr and Pin or is it something else

thats ash

Looks like a standing dead white ash to me also. If you have EAB in your area what does the wood look like where the bark is falling off? Any tunnels?

Attached a picture of white ash for reference.

Attachments

• PC060012.jpg
    PC060012.jpg
    218.1 KB · Views: 206
+ASH, BETTER THAN OAK, WILL BE READY FOR NEXT YEAR FOR SURE!

I agree.Looks like ash to me.

rdust said:
Looks like a standing dead white ash to me also. If you have EAB in your area what does the wood look like where the bark is falling off? Any tunnels?

Attached a picture of white ash for reference.

Yes Illinois is an EAB quarantined state but this is the first I have run into. Yes where the bark is off I can see some tunnel marks but no sign of any borers live or dead. The tree was cut last spring I think it fell first .

Thanks everyone for the ID

Status
Not open for further replies.