Tree ID-North Central Maryland

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sideofabarn

Nov 13, 2013
Central Maryland
I'm located in North Central Maryland and I'm trying to identify the following tree. It's a narrow tree only a few inches in diameter but about 20 feet high growing among and competing with a bunch of white pine trees.

My guess is either some type of ash or boxelder?

Thanks for your help.

Attachments

• IMG_1752.JPG
    IMG_1752.JPG
    19.2 KB · Views: 238
Does this look like what you got it ? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Koelreuteria_paniculata
http://hvp.osu.edu/pocketgardener/source/description/ko_ulata.html

Leaf in your pic looks like that of golden rain tree (
Koelreuteria paniculata). Leaves alternate, pinnately compound ? Golden rain has panicles of yellow flowers in summer. What is the habit/ form of the tree ? irregular, short (<30') and rounded ? Evidence of triangular paper-like capsule pods ? very hard dark/ black pea-sized seeds on ground ? It's slightly invasive, so look for similar seedlings. Deadwood and brown capsules (seasonal) can give it an scruffy, unkempt, weedy appearance.

It's a narrow tree only a few inches in diameter but about 20 feet high growing among and competing with a bunch of white pine trees.
If growing in competition, then your tree might be forced into an uncharacteristically narrow, upright growth.
If it's golden rain, then not the greatest burning. I've scrounged a bit of it. Despite it having a light density wood, it does't seem to burn well.

Reactions: aansorge
Sorry for the delay-long day at work.

Here is a pick of the bark.

CincyBurner, I'll take a look at what you posted. I feel like the leaves of the tree were green prior to fall but I may be wrong. I never really noticed this tree until now.

Attachments

• FullSizeRender (2).jpg
    FullSizeRender (2).jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 147
Cincyburner-my mistake. The version you've shown does have green leaves in summer. It really seems like a golden rain tree just as you noted. It even matches the scraggly irregular trunk. I think we may have a winner. Thanks for your help-impressive ID on this one.

Good call. That is an unusual tree to find in the wild. There is probably one nearby in a yard or park.

Status
Not open for further replies.