Tree ID please!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Phoenix Hatchling

Minister of Fire
Dec 26, 2012
New Fairfield, CT
image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg This one is slated to remove, but do I keep the wood?Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    420.4 KB · Views: 121
My opinion is with Avalon Douglas. Leaf looks like red maple to me(have 3 acres full of them) and the bark can vary with red maple from scaly (like this pic) to smooth. I would definitely keep it, makes good kindling and medium heat. Mixes well with the harder woods like locust and oak.

Reactions: TreePointer
Yep, Red Maple. Good, quick-drying stuff to have around even though it doesn't have the staying power of Oak, etc. I like to always have some medium-output stuff on hand. I've got a little over a cord and a half of Red and Silver Maple, and a couple cords of Black Cherry ready to go right now. :cool:

Reactions: jeff_t
Red maple it is then. Thanks for the help!

Red maple. Nice looking Weim!

That is Red Maple. The leaves have three main lobes and lots of small teeth on the edges, which is clear in your photos and indicative of red maple. The shaggy bark is not unusual in Red Maples around here (central PA). The wood is very good firewood. I'd keep it.

It is maple. Can't ask for much more; you did well.

Status
Not open for further replies.