tree id please

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thinktwicez71

Nov 22, 2011
Ogdensburg , NY
my father in-law found a small tree growing out in a field and uprooted it to plant in my yard. I am not sure what type it is but I'm thinking its a small oak maybe ?

any ideas let me know , much appreciated.

Pic1

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1401123165888.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1401123165888.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 120
Pic2

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1401123195958.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1401123195958.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 95

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1401123221873.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1401123221873.jpg
    120.5 KB · Views: 98
Interesting you posted this; I recently found similar leaves in the lot behind my MIL's house. Based on the leaf pics, I'll say Chestnut Oak. Leaf descriptions in 'The Guide' are closer to Chestnut or Swamp Chestnut than Swamp White. The color would help distinguish between those two, but that's not a mature leaf. Chestnut range seems more solid in your area...

I have them on my property but I havent made a positive ID on them. Chestnut oak is easy to ID on a mature tree. I have what I think of as a Swamp White only because the bark doesnt look like Chinkapin oak. But all I know is I have 2 seperate types of "Chestnut type" white oaks. The bark on the mature trees are completely different. Its hard to tell from the babies, maybe the parent tree is somewhere in the field. They cross with each other as well to add to confusions. Good luck with the transplant. They like sandy loam soils with a pH around 5.5

Thanks a lot, I just went out back in the woods abd got another

Add bur oak to the list of possibilities - your last pic shows some leaves with the tell-tale "deep sinuses". Not consistent though, so maybe one of those confounded hybrids!

Reactions: Applesister
The second one is wilting a little , I hope it survives because it's a nice tree. I watered it plenty too . Is there anything I can do ? I put a little cow manure compost on it too

Hopeing it survives

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1401149135489.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1401149135489.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 86
An oak of that size probably already had a substantial root system, and judging by the width of the hole I'm guessing it lost a fair amount during transplant. It might make it with diligent watering, but it'll be in "recovery" mode for most of this growing season.

that tree was growing on the side of a road and growing in crushed stone. the main tap root was like 4 feet deep and was straight down. I did the best I could , I just hope it survives , it looks like a nice tree .

Reactions: Soundchasm
that tree was growing on the side of a road and growing in crushed stone. the main tap root was like 4 feet deep and was straight down. I did the best I could , I just hope it survives , it looks like a nice tree .

I've planted 3 oaks on the property. One was a "gift" from a friend about that size, and we dug it up bare root and transplanted. Maybe ten years ago and it looks great now. Two others survived the great heat and then the great freeze. I was preparing myself to be disappointed, but the two newest ones made it. So far so good! I bet you've got a survivor.

Reactions: Woody Stover
They cross with each other as well to add to confusions.
I've wondered how much of that crossing occurs. Sometimes I see an Oak leaf that will have characteristics of both Red and Black Oak leaves. I wondered if it was a crossing, or just variations that you see in the form of a leaf of one specie. Would the crossing be limited to species that are pretty close anyway, like Black and Red? A White couldn't cross with a Red, could it? I'm confused. ;lol

I hope the little treelet survives. My Dad was into moving trees around. Its suffering transplant shock. Trees with deep taproots are hard to dig up. You could get a greenhouse sunscreen and make a tent. 20% -30% shade screen. Or just keep your fingers crossed. The second pic of the bigger sapling shows hybrid vigor. lol. I dont know....I agree a percentage of the leaves look like Bur Oak. I dont know which oaks will cross with which oaks. But I know they do.

Sometimes if you take bird netting that you would use to cover cherry trees or blueberries from crop loss and just double the netting it can create a shade screen. Cheap and easy to find.

Chances for survival are much better if you transplant early, before the tree leafs out or late after the leaves have dropped. Good luck, I hope it survives.

Looks like a bur oak to me or maybe swamp white oak since it is near water. Not regular white oak - leaves would be more lobed.

My experience has been those trees don't transplant well especially after the leaves are out. The tap root on a 12" tree will be over 3 feet deep!

Good luck!

Yeah it is weird on the bigger tree there are 2 different leaf types uploadfromtaptalk1401368711769.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1401368711769.jpg

And this

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1401368767151.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1401368767151.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 82
Status
Not open for further replies.