Tree ID please

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

7acres

Minister of Fire
Dec 5, 2013
South East USA
Hello, I went for a walk in the back 40 yesterday and came across two trees I want to learn the names of. Here's the first one. The trunk is probably three feet wide and very tall. the trunk.jpg the leaves.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
American beech and the second picture in the back ground is white ash. Both excellent firewood when dry.

Do both photos show the same tree? The first picture of a trunk looks like American Beech. The leaves in the photo look like they could be American Beech too.

Reactions: Rebelduckman
Do both photos show the same tree? The first picture of a trunk looks like American Beech. The leaves in the photo look like they could be American Beech too.
Both photos here are the same tree. Took a downhill photo of the trunk then I jumped up and grabbed a branch to photo the leaves. There's about a 40 degree grade here that's not very apparent in the photo.

I put the other tree's photos in a separate post.

I try not to name my trees....don't want to get emotionally attached to them ;lol
Agreed. It does make it hard. I've got a particular mature shagbark hickory with a base 3' wide that will probably come down in my lifetime. I'm looking forward to the day it's health declines and I drop that tree. In the mean time I admire and wonder at it every time I walk under it.

Status
Not open for further replies.