Tree ID Please

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

7acres

Minister of Fire
Dec 5, 2013
South East USA
My neighbor wanted three of these taken off his property. I was happy to oblige. What species is this tree?

The leaves seem to come in clusters of 5 per "node".
IMG_20141031_145422.jpg

Red tree in the background is a different tree. This photo was for the bark and limb structure.
IMG_20141031_145346-EFFECTS.jpg

Another look at the branches and leaves.
IMG_20141031_145340.jpg

It is an oak. I am not always sure about southeastern oaks, since you guys have many species that don't grow in the northeast. I'll guess Water Oak. The leaves are similar to Water Oaks I have seen, and the general shape of the tree and the bark remind me of Water Oak. There are similar oaks so I might be wrong about the species, but it is oak and all oaks have similar, high-density wood.

Reactions: CTYank
Offhand, looks like water oak, Quercus nigra, to me. I've seen it planted in SE VA and coastal NC, though not as much as willow oak.

I would say Hickory. I have several hickory on my property and the leaf shape and arrangement look familiar. You'll like the wood, but my experience is it rots quickly if not cut and off the ground within a reasonable time.

After doing some googlin' I think it's not hickory after all. Kinda close but the leaves in your pic are more rounded than a hickory. Good burning regardless.

A guy posted a thread here a while ago about Water Oak. I'd never ever heard of it so I looked it up and was really surprised to see that was the trees name. Thought the guy was using some local southern vernacular.
The unusual shape of the leaves stuck in my mind. As well as the name.
And the guys pics he posted were unforgettable too.
For trivia sake..its in the red oak group, even though the leaves look white.

Status
Not open for further replies.