Tree ID please

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Omaha419

Burning Hunk
Jul 19, 2015
Falling Waters, WV
6590ad38db91de4d37c694eead15817f.jpg

My yard has mostly locust, black cherry, and a few of these. Bark is very smooth. No leaves yet, sorry. Eastern panhandle of WV. Thanks!

Ailanthus aka tree of heaven.

They grow this big?
They will grow 50-70 feet tall, Whatever they need to do to out compete the other trees for sunlight. It is one nasty invasive piece of crap.

Was going to ask that next, I know they are garbage for firewood. I guess I should chop 'em all down? For an invasive tree, these aren't doing their job.

I'd either chop them all down or girdle them. Girdling will kill them in a year or two and you'll have a dead snag for woodpeckers. Girdling also tends to reduce or eliminate regrowth from the base of the tree. I think this is because girdling starves the roots.

Treat the girdled area or the stump with Tordon and don't worry about them coming back.

Status
Not open for further replies.