Tree ID please

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mecreature

Minister of Fire
Dec 16, 2010
indiana
Not sure what kind of oak this is. It is dead standing and had one little branch down low with some leaves..

any for sure ID's... just curious.

thanks for looking.

Attachments

• leaf.jpg
    leaf.jpg
    187.3 KB · Views: 260
  • bark.jpg
    bark.jpg
    149.3 KB · Views: 240
points on the leaves makes it red oak
not much cut to the lobes - bear oak maybe ?

I'm going with Red as well. The first bark pic looks classic Red, but the second looks different. Is that further up the trunk or what?

Woody Stover said:
I'm going with Red as well. The first bark pic looks classic Red, but the second looks different. Is that further up the trunk or what?

yes but just a bit further up, about chest high.

red is where I was leaning.

The raised somewhat shiny ridges of the bark in the first picture make me think it is a Northern Red Oak. The leaves look ok for Red Oak, perhaps a little odd due to the fact the tree is dying or the leaves are from a low branch where leaves are commonly less deeply lobed than leaves higher on the tree where there is more sun.

Bear Oak is a small tree, never close to the size of this one.

I know it will for sure give your saw a run for the money! :cheese:

The most God-forsaken wood to season.
Nice wood to burn though!
WB

smokinjay said:

LOL

you think. don't answer your phone.

mecreature said:
smokinjay said:

LOL

you think. don't answer your phone.

I change it.... :lol:

WOODBUTCHER said:
Nice wood to burn though!
WB

need to get started I guess.

mecreature said:
WOODBUTCHER said:
need to get started I guess.

I stacked some dead standing Black and Red early this Summer. It started out in the upper 20s MC. I'll check MC on a few splits soon, but it still feels heavy. I'm hoping I'll be able to burn it in the '12 season. Tons of Red and Black here, so I need to get far ahead on my wood stacks and it'll all be good.

Status
Not open for further replies.