Tree ID please

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

48rob

Feeling the Heat
Oct 11, 2010
Illinois
Can anyone help?

Thanks!

Rob

ry=400.jpg

ry=400.jpg

ry=400.jpg

ry=400.jpg

Red maple, or a softmaple of some kind.

I'd say maple but without leaves might be hard to tell. I would guess at silver maple though. They are a fast growing popular yard tree. And for some reason are starting to die off.

Thanks for all the replies so far!

Deadwood... good one, and correct! ;-P

I agree it looks nothing like silver Maple.
We have hundreds of them, and the bark is very different.
Could be some other type of Maple...

The bark is like a cross between Hickory and Locust?

Rob

wood dope said:
Looks like a maple but bark doesn't look like silver to me.1st thought was sugar but could be red.

+1

Definately maple. My thought was sugar. It's definatly not silver maple.

Matt

Sugar maple. They go into decline when backfilled excessively around their root-crown. They're very fussy about that, and can take 10 years to die off.

I also think it is Sugar Maple, but maybe Red Maple. I can't really tell from the picture but the very flaky and ridged bark make we think Sugar more than Red. Definitely not Silver, also not Norway Maple.

almost positive thats sugar maple seen lots of dead ones around here look just like that.

Maple, jus too many types for me to say which one I think it is!

Thats just to ugly for sugar, red or Norway.

oldspark said:
No way that is Norway.

That is what I think about sugar...lol Just dont see it. Loooks very soft.

Not sure about the tree but those oyster mushrooms growing on the side are great to eat!!

I vote for sugar maple. It looks just like my two big live ones, only with less bark. Bark is all wrong for silver or Norway.

Thanks all for the replies!

I took the tree down a few days ago, it generated about 2/3 of a cord (2 face cords).
I decided to pass on the Oyster mushrooms...they are probably very tasty, but it is a lot more exciting to search for, and find these guys!

ry=400

ry=400

ry=400

ry=400

ry=400

As it was standing dead for at least two years, much of the smaller diameter wood is dry and ready to burn.
Everything up to about 4" diameter is showing 12-15%, with the bigger pieces showing from 20 to 40%.

Surprisingly, those 4" rounds fit in my stove like it was made for them...
It starts and burns very well, and it is allowing me to save my Hickory and Mulberry and Cherry for later in the season!

Rob

Well done, Rob! Since you got paid to remove the tree, maybe you can go buy some really good beer to go with those beautiful morels!

48rob said:
It starts and burns very well, and it is allowing me to save my Hickory and Mulberry and Cherry for later in the season!
If that is indeed Sugar, it's got a respectable 24 M BTU/cord, same as Red Oak, and better than Cherry at 20 M. Hickory and Mulberry do have serious firepower though. Got end grain and split pics?

Status
Not open for further replies.