Tree ID please

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ethanhudson

Burning Hunk
Feb 18, 2012
South Dakota
I am trying to get better at identifying trees and downed timber, I have spent hours looking through some of the linked websites from this forum. I live in the Black Hills of South Dakota, it is beautiful country but the predominant tree species is Ponderosa Pine. Don't get me wrong, I won't turn my nose up at pine, I've got so much its rediculous. But I am on a mission to bolster my woodpiles with some hardwoods (kinda difficult given my location) for better coaling and overnight burns. I discovered several patches of trees at lower elevations that I believe are white oak (burr oak to be precise). I would greatly appreciate any input from the forum members on whether I'm right (or wrong :))

The nubs and the leaf are what I am basing my opinion on.

03292012089.jpg03292012090.jpg03292012091.jpg03292012092.jpg03292012093.jpg03292012094.jpg

Chestnut oak based on the leaf, but could be burr. The pics is kinda blurry and it is hard to tell how deep the lobes are. The bark is dead on for chestnut.

Reactions: smokinj
The leaf is of an oak species. Oak takes a long time to season, but when it's good and dry, it burns long and hot and produces great coals. Take her down, buck and split it.

Oak! It's all good!

Burr oak

images

Attachments

• Burr oak.jpg
    Burr oak.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 93
There is no bad oak....get all you can but don't use it until it has dried 2 years if you want to get the most benefit out of it.

Yep that's what we refer to rock oak or chestnut oak. Great wood and that there is a biggun'...

Status
Not open for further replies.